Electric Hop Candy Jr HIGH mash temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe for reference:
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/electric-hop-candy-jr-new-england-style-pale-ale

I've been wanting to brew this one for a while, so I think I'm going to finally pull the trigger.

I scaled it down to a 5 gallon batch, but what's got me scratching my head is the suggested 160F mash temp. I understand why, but every other calculator I plug this recipe and mash temp into raises my FG to way higher (1.018) than what the recipe suggests (1.014).

What are everyone's thoughts here? I'm planning to ferment with WYeast 1318. Should I mash at 152 or 160?

The great thing about brewing is you have the freedom and creativity to adjust a recipe as you see fit. If you don't feel comfortable mashing that high go for the middle and do 155. I generally mash my APA's and EPA's at 154-156 range.

WY1318 has been finicky for me personally, don't know if it was just the packet of yeast I got or what but it was slow to start even with a starter and took a long time to clean up.

@kal has been very successful I don't believe he would steer you wrong.

The great thing about brewing is you have the freedom and creativity to adjust a recipe as you see fit. If you don't feel comfortable mashing that high go for the middle and do 155. I generally mash my APA's and EPA's at 154-156 range.

WY1318 has been finicky for me personally, don't know if it was just the packet of yeast I got or what but it was slow to start even with a starter and took a long time to clean up.

@kal has been very successful I don't believe he would steer you wrong.
I think I figured out where my calculations went wrong. Brewfather was figuring a conservative 73% attenuation on the Wyeast 1318, and historically I've hit 77.5-78.8% attenuation...which if you plug in to the recipe with a ~158F mash temp, it'll bring my FG down to 1.014-1.015.

I'm a little skeptical of this high mash temp, but I'll give it a whirl. You're right -- Kal wouldn't steer us wrong...

Back