Quantcast

Electric direct fired mash tun?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Gussymo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried doing this? I like the concept of a direct fired mash tun but would like to use an electric element. I was thinking about using an elevated false bottom and have the element under that so it would be away from the grain and using a pump to recirfulate the wort. Has anyone done this? Other ideas? (Besides herms).

missing link

Reaction score
Quite a few of us have electric Rims systems but we do not have the element in the mash tun. I could not figure out how to get the element low enough to have a false bottom work so I went with an external heat exchanger and I pump through that.

I just reconfigured everything to fit in a tidy little box. I'll post some pics soon.

Linc

OP
Gussymo

Gussymo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I will look forward to the pics. I have seen some RIMS systems that used a large pipe to contain the element. It just occured to me that if I elevated the false bottom I could put the element in the pot and was wondering if it could work.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
One way I could see this going would be to do it as a double boiler. Fit a smaller pot inside a larger vessel that would be insulated. You'd run the element in the outer jacket with water to help distribute heat. You'd also need a small stirring motor to keep it moving. The benefit would be even heat distribution.

OP
Gussymo

Gussymo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Impetus19, that's a nice pot. Where did you get the stainless screen? Do you have any pictures of your setup? I don't think there is any more chance of scorching doing this than with a rims setup. The electric rims systems I have seen use an electric element in a large pipe. This is the same basic principle, just in the pot. As long as you are recirculating when the element is on there shouldn't be any scorching. I have a 62 quart pot I am thinking about using for this.

impetus19

Reaction score
I will post up some pictures tonight when i can.. My rig is a total WIP right now though.

Ebay is the only place i have found the stainless steel screen in small pieces.

Here is the ebay link to it... Nice stuff.. Not overly cheap though.

tkone

Reaction score
what are you using for the electric element? i've got a gas stove that can get 6.5 gallons going at a boil, but it takes and hour and it's not what i would call rolling

OP
Gussymo

Gussymo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have 5500 watt water heater element in my boil kettle. For the mash tun I think you would want less than 2000 watts.

impetus19

Reaction score
I would recommend this type of element if you want to stay 120volt.. Here
It is low watt density and a good power level for mash tun for 5-6 gallon batches.

Last edited by a moderator:

impetus19

Reaction score
Yeah it is a standard 1" thread.. it was the highest wattage, lowest watt density 120 volt element i could find.
It is 12" long so you need i good size MLT.

Plan9

Reaction score
I would fear scorching as the initial runnings of the mash are pretty high gravity.
We have a RIMs with a 120v element in a pipe, and have never had any scortching or darkening.
In fact we've had medal winning American Lagers brewed with it.