Electric Brewery up and running!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikrocks

Reaction score
Well, after four months of researching (here is my initial thread), thinking, more researching, ordering parts, emailing with P-J, more researching, and finally assembling said purchased parts, I finally brewed on my new 1/2 barrel all electric system! Before I go into the specifics, let me advise anyone contemplating the move from propane to electric--DO IT.

I had this past week off from work and brewed 45 gallons of beer--the most pleasant brewing experience I've had since I began brewing three years ago. I have a single tier propane stand I bought from Brewers' Equipment (yes, I was one of the lucky ones who actually receive my stand) which I'll be looking to sell soon. The loudest part of brewing this week was my march pump. Incredible. Here's the system:

IMG_16793.JPG

IMG_16993.JPG

HLT (note ghetto-fab HERMS coil)

IMG_17011.jpg

IMG_1680.JPG

The HERMS was my 50' 3/8 copper chiller. THe fact that it's 1/4" ID definitely reduces flow, but I was able to hold the mash at 157 for an hour perfectly yesterday.

Control Box

IMG_1703.jpg

photo_219.JPG

I used the Auber project box. It was tricky getting my long, fat fingers in there to connect and solder 10awg wires, but I was really pleased with it as a whole. Plus, it's hard to beat the price.

Nice to see you're up and running. I think I'll be starting a build like yours in a few week, did you stick to the diagram in your initial thread? I think the only difference from it for me will be 22mm buttons for the pumps and pid and a large temp readout that I can see from across the room.
It's great you're really pleased with it, anything you'd tweek if you could?

let me advise anyone contemplating the move from propane to electric--DO IT.

I had this past week off from work and brewed 45 gallons of beer--the most pleasant brewing experience I've had since I began brewing three years ago.
You have no idea how much your success pleases me. Congratulations!

It's simple, effective and I know you enjoyed the whole experience.

It's really quiet too. No?

P-J

runs4beer said:
Nice to see you're up and running. I think I'll be starting a build like yours in a few week, did you stick to the diagram in your initial thread? I think the only difference from it for me will be 22mm buttons for the pumps and pid and a large temp readout that I can see from across the room.
It's great you're really pleased with it, anything you'd tweek if you could?

Tiber_Brew said:
Function > form

Have fun, bro!
I definitely wanted to go as cheap a I could yet still accomplish my goals of a.) safety and b.) 15 gallon batch capability. My switches are simple, one PID, an awful looking HERMS coil...but I absolutely LOVE my brewery. I'm not sure what I would have done differently. A stainless 1/2" HERMS coil would be nice, but I could upgrade that at some point in the future. Like I said, working in the Auber box was a little difficult, but everything worked out well in the end.

I would never have taken the leap without PJ's help. Thanks a lot, bud. If you lived closer, you'd have an open invitation to my homebrew. You're an invaluable resource on this forum.

Glad you're enjoying the electric setup. Brewing has never been such a pleasure as it has since I made the decision to go electric.

Also, I like your login name.

-Erik

Finally built a new brewstand for my electric brewery. I took the idea from Kal, but tailored it for what I wanted. Most obviously, I ceramic tiled the top of the stand instead of going with the 1x4 wooden top. The stand's first brew day will be Tuesday...looking forward to it!

image-863787949.jpg

image-3356504412.jpg

image-4087557853.jpg

wilserbrewer said:
I like your ventilation system. I do something similiar, works well and it is very cost effective.

Yeah...I usually have the back door open blowing fresh air in and that window above blowing the steam out. Nothing more elaborate is really necessary.

Back