Electric brewery in garage -- questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurly

Reaction score
I'm looking at converting my propane two-tier set-up to a single-tier electric set-up and brewing in my garage.

Was wondering whether you have issues with the steam/condensation collecting from the boil in the garage and how your set-up is done to allow some movement of the brew stand itself since it'll be tied into an electrical line. I know installing a vent hood would work, but I'm not really interested in going that route. Would simply keeping the garage door open work?

For those of you who went the electric route, did you ever have regrets about not being able to move it further away from your sub-panel? Electric certainly has its advantages as dealing with propane refills and the cost would be nice to avoid but somewhat concerned that now I'll have a 'fixed' brewery.

Not sure that gas/electric makes any difference as far as boil off. The door is open on the garage for gas and never a problem. Putting a couple gal of liquid in the air over time with no way to vent has got to cause a problem over time.

These two questions are exactly what I am worried about. I don't even have the garage door to help me with this problem. Just a small window that is across the room from the 220 line. I have quite a few expensive bikes in the same room the brewery will be in and the last thing I want is sticky condensation clinging to them.

Would a dehumidifier help?

Not sure that gas/electric makes any difference as far as boil off. The door is open on the garage for gas and never a problem. Putting a couple gal of liquid in the air over time with no way to vent has got to cause a problem over time.

So I take it you simply brew with the garage door open and haven't had any moisture issues? Any issues with wanting to move your brewery further away or relocate it?

I'm just trying to get a grasp if electric is the best solution as it kind of permanently fixes your brewery in one place and if the trade-off isn't worth it when compared to gas/flexibility.

I have my setup in the garage. I crack the garage door about 5 inches and turn on a fan. No probs with moisture. The fan I use is two server rack fans mounted near the ceiling. So the stream of air passes over the bk toward the top of the garage.

So I take it you simply brew with the garage door open and haven't had any moisture issues? Any issues with wanting to move your brewery further away or relocate it?

I'm just trying to get a grasp if electric is the best solution as it kind of permanently fixes your brewery in one place and if the trade-off isn't worth it when compared to gas/flexibility.

I just leave the garage door open about 6 inches and have no problems in the winter. In the summer I open the door all the way and am fine. No humididy build up and no gas fumes.

Back