Electric brew pot in propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TStMartin

Reaction score
I'm looking into building an electric system using hot water heater elements installed in the brew pot.

If I come across a time when I can't use electric, for whatever reason, can I still use the pots on a propane burner?

I don't see why not as long as the flame doesn't melt you gaskets or electrical connection.... If you are welding in couplers maybe buy 1" stainless bolt to use as a plug so you can pull out the element completely

I don't see why not as long as the flame doesn't melt you gaskets or electrical connection.... If you are welding in couplers maybe buy 1" stainless bolt to use as a plug so you can pull out the element completely

And make sure it's a 1"-11.5 NPT plug, rather than a 1" UNC/UNF bolt...

i had my single tier setup for propane and then added electric elements. i had no problem using propane to heat my keggles, but i had heat shields between the keggle and the burner to keep heat off the electrical connections. the only thing you couldn't do is bottom drains, since you couldn't direct fire those... and for me that's one of the awesome things about electric, so i ripped the gas stuff off my stand shortly after converting to electric. ;)

Back