electric automation software question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

it99

Reaction score
I would to build long term a single infusion electric brewery that just uses software the PID control,etc.

I was thinking of using the BCS 460 does it use software PID?
I would rather not have to have PID hardware controllers and then have to power them, and build all of that circuitry.

I just want something that will sense the temperatures, using probes and then after that its all software with NO hardware building?

Is this possible? Is this overkill for using single infusion? Or are these automation systems mostly just for step infusion? Thanks!!!

No matter how you go about doing temperature control you will have to do some wiring of components. You will need an SSR to switch the 220V on/off to control the heating element. In the end you will have to do the same amount of wiring than if you used individual PID controllers. Also I am a little confused by your "software PID" comment. All of the standalone PID controllers use a microcontroller that runs software/firmware to run their PID control algorithm.

If you are choosing to go with the BCS because it will be easier to wire up your control panel then I think you need to do more research on here to understand what all you will need in terms on components and how to wire all of them up properly.

No matter how you go about doing temperature control you will have to do some wiring of components. You will need an SSR to switch the 220V on/off to control the heating element. In the end you will have to do the same amount of wiring than if you used individual PID controllers. Also I am a little confused by your "software PID" comment. All of the standalone PID controllers use a microcontroller that runs software/firmware to run their PID control algorithm.

If you are choosing to go with the BCS because it will be easier to wire up your control panel then I think you need to do more research on here to understand what all you will need in terms on components and how to wire all of them up properly.

I think he means he would like to implement PID functionality through software (Arduino style) rather by using a physical PID controller (MyPin or Auberins style).

helibrewer said:
I think he means he would like to implement PID functionality through software (Arduino style) rather by using a physical PID controller (MyPin or Auberins style).

Yup. Got that. My point is that however you go about it you still have to build a control panel. His statement of "no hardware building" isn't achievable. I am trying to help him not make a decision based on a fictitious notion that doing it in software will result in no hardware building. I think it is pretty safe to say that nobody on this forum is using a true analog hardware PID controller. That would consist of only opamps, transistors, resistors, capacitors and inductors. However you go about it everyone is using digital PID that runs software/firmware on a microcontroller.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to build any hardware if I didn't have to. Why isn't there any commercial off the shelf hardware that people can just buy. It just seems like there is a need for this type of hardware and I am surprised that nobody has anything pre-built. I know that every situation is different and might require slightly different hardware.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to build any hardware if I didn't have to. Why isn't there any commercial off the shelf hardware that people can just buy. It just seems like there is a need for this type of hardware and I am surprised that nobody has anything pre-built. I know that every situation is different and might require slightly different hardware.

Oh they make them, you just need the $$$$
http://www.blichmannengineering.com/TOWER_of_POWER/TOWER_of_POWER.html

Back