Electric 1.5 BBL Upgrade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I finally did it. I leased a building!!!

Check it out

http://www.facebook.com/HighGravityBrewing

And like me!!

I'm going to do most of my updating their now. So that's the best way to follow my progress as it includes people that are not on homebrewtalk as well.

:mug:

-Craig

Awesome!! Congrats! You are doing exactly what I fantasize about doing myself. I look forward to watching your progress moving forward.

Sorry if this has been asked, I didn't go through all 21 pages.

What are the car hubs used for? I couldn't really tell from the picture.

Very nice. I read the entire thread and I'll be in Denver later in Sept. I may just go on a little beer hunter expedition.

I was going to do this back in the mid 1990s and even had a system laid out by Specific Mechanical. But I'm in a very hostile beer state...more so back then than now. Several brewers came and went in those days including Dogwood, which was a very good international award winning brewer. I was about to lay out some serious cash and would have probably joined the ranks of the failures. Someday, the good ol boys will remove the large distributors hands from their pockets and allow small brewers to self distribute here.

Things have actually changed quite a bit here since the 90s. About 10yrs ago, high gravity beer became available. We can ship wine and I think beer into GA. You can finally go to your local Kroger on a Sunday and buy a 6-pack now...at least in and around Atlanta. Before, you had to go to a bar or restaurant if you wanted a pint on Sunday...and then drive home. Real smart, huh.

I googled your brewery name and didn't find a website, but I did find several mentions of it (I'm not a Facebooker). CO is a VERY beer friendly state and this list of breweries in development confirms that!
http://www.fermentedlychallenged.com/2011/09/list-of-colorado-breweries-in.html
But, I don't think any state is easier than CA. The HBHoss thread proves that. He didn't have to go through any of the building searches and lease negotiations. He just built it in his back yard:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/nanobrewery-build-137400/

Congrats on your progress! I see on Facebook that you have a countdown to getting your TTB, what's the process in CO for your state license and dealing with the health department?

Congrats on your progress! I see on Facebook that you have a countdown to getting your TTB, what's the process in CO for your state license and dealing with the health department?

Sorry, I haven't looked at this thread in a while. I didn't see this post.

The state and city both have their own set of crap to take care of.

The State requires you get a manufacturing license and get all set up taxes wise. This includes getting a state sales tax number and a manufacturing license. The license is a one time fee and application costing $1375 ... ouch.

The city is where things get nuts and are all amazingly dependent on what your zoning is. I have to submit all sorts of drawings and stuff to the city for them to approve. The city is the largest bottle neck and can pretty much ruin me if things don't go smoothly with them.

So I finally did it. I leased a building!!!

Check it out

http://www.facebook.com/HighGravityBrewing

And like me!!

I'm going to do most of my updating their now. So that's the best way to follow my progress as it includes people that are not on homebrewtalk as well.

:mug:

-Craig

Any way to make your facebook page available to non-facebook members?
Thanks.

I feel like everything in the pemissions section is set up to allow anyone to look at the page ... this sucks. Freakin facebook.......

Reminds me of when companies put their pages on MySpace instead of creating webfronts.

Facebook has way more reach and will be great for your business, but there are people that simply won't use it due to the lack of privacy.

Reminds me of when companies put their pages on MySpace instead of creating webfronts.

Facebook has way more reach and will be great for your business, but there are people that simply won't use it due to the lack of privacy.

Yeah, I agree.

I have a website, but it'as kinda crappy at the moment. I'm working with a designer to make it nice. Once its all done I will post that here as well.

cruelkix said:
Unfortunately, no....

It will probably be like December time frame. If you want to come over to my house and have a few beers and talk beer let me know tho.

Might take you up on that. Thanks for the offer!

have you been to wits end brewing in town?(http://witsendbrewing.com) its a really small scal brewpub. I talked to one of the brewers and it kinda looks like he is doing the same buiness plan that you are doing(1bbl). pretty cool little place to check out.

The place is kinda hard to find because its in a storage area/garage....(bring a GPS) they still use a barley crusher/w a drill to crush there grain!!! Its super nano that seems to be doing well. Its so cool living in a city that you can go and find a new brew pub almost every week!!! really cant wait till you open your doors....

have you been to wits end brewing in town?(http://witsendbrewing.com) its a really small scal brewpub. I talked to one of the brewers and it kinda looks like he is doing the same buiness plan that you are doing(1bbl). pretty cool little place to check out.

The place is kinda hard to find because its in a storage area/garage....(bring a GPS) they still use a barley crusher/w a drill to crush there grain!!! Its super nano that seems to be doing well. Its so cool living in a city that you can go and find a new brew pub almost every week!!! really cant wait till you open your doors....

I've been there a ton of times. Scott (the owner) has been amazingly helpful throughout this process and to be honest, he's making some of the best beers in CO right now from the micro brews, for sure. Thanks for the heads up tho. Scott is awesome.

I was only there once and i talked with a younger guy(assistant brewer). he gave me a little tour. I really liked there belgium IPA. Making plans to go back for sure ;)

Seriously... Cruelkix just stopped posting over a year ago. He was very active and I wonder what happened to this brewery project. The facebook page is dead and I cant find the brewery on Google. He is still active... just no posts. Super odd. What gives?

brewery name changed to De Steeg brewing, that is probably why you cant find it. he is up and running it looks like, I haven't been down to check it out though.

He must have gotten too busy to update this thread!

https://www.facebook.com/DeSteegBrewing

glad to hear he is up and running

Yes I got insanely busy!!! The brewery is up and running and everything is going fantastically. The rig is rocking it and I couldn't be much happier with life in general right now. Sorry for leaving you all hanging.

I had to change the name to De Steeg Brewing after a naming issue with Gravity Brewing which was only 14 miles away from my location, but really the name changed worked out for the best and I like the new name way more to be honest.

I have a new website going live in a few weeks but right now facebook is the best way to keep up with what is going on. Come check the place out if you are in Denver (especially with GABF coming up I'm sure many of you will be!!)

4342 Tennyson St.
Denver CO 80212

Enter through the alley (De Steeg means the alley in Dutch)

Cheers!!
-Craig

It was a bit of a rollercoaster ride reading this thread through from start to finish... I got to your first post about FB and hit the "404 not found page" and just assumed your brewery had gone the way of many before it. It was a nice relief to see your NEW fb page with lots of pics of a full tasting room. This is an awesome thing to see. Lots and lots of brewing industry people say it's "not possible" to run a brewery under 7 BBL and you're doing it. Best of luck to you.

How did you build the level gauge? Live it all, just ordered my first barrel.

I just bought a standard sight glass and had the place put a much longer tube in it that normal. They I threaded it into a 1.5" tri-clover to half inch NPT adapter.

You are asking about the sight glass right?

I'm glad to see that you are open and doing good, my wife loves to go to the highlands for dinner. Looks like I will be making a stop by for some beers. See you soon!

Latest posts

Back