El Dorado Hops Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SenorHops

Reaction score
I have 4 ozs of El Dorado and I'm trying to formulate an IPA recipe. Any thoughts on these hops, what characteristics they have and what they pair well with? Thanks.

Lucky you. I was looking for El Dorado 2 weeks ago and could not locate. We recently stumbled upon a CA Pale Ale that the brewer states uses only El Dorado and Citra. The aroma/taste profile is grapefruit and citrus. Not overdone, but very present and pleasant.

I am trying to recreate an IPA with different hop schedule but similar profile.

I would think Citra for bittering and El Dorado for later boil additions, whirlpool, and Dry Hop along with Citra.

Enjoy.

I bought a pound a couple months ago and mixed it with Simcoe. I dont have the exact recipe on hand but the hop schedule is as follows for a bsic matl profile IPA

1.5 oz Mag @ 60

1 oz Simcoe @15
1 oz Simcoe @10
1 oz Simcoe @5
1 oz El Dorado @5
1 oz Eldorado @Flamoeout

1 oz Each Simcoe/El Dorado whirlpool for 15 mins

Really nice pine upfront and mellows out with a nice fruity finish I am very happy with this combo and will brew it again

Call your local homebrew shop and ask if they use BSG Handcraft as a wholesaler. If yes, they should be able to get El Dorado.

I had been looking for feedback on El Dorado too. I just brewed a Cascade/Centennial/Dorado IPA, and I'll be bottling it tonight. Unfortunately I can't give you any individual input on it, though--a SMaSH might be my next project so I can do that myself.

I have a SMaSH going right now with US Pale malt and El Dorado. Off the top of my head the hopping schedule was something like:

0.75 oz at 60 min
2.25 oz at 5 min
2 oz at flameout
3 oz dryhop
IBU was estimated to be ~50.

Flavor at kegging was of tropical fruit, not a lot else there prior to dryhopping. Beer has been in the keg and dryhopping for about a week, just waiting for space in the kegerator...

Update on my SMaSH. There is a ton of tropical fruit in there which is pretty amazing. Nice light color with a solid head. Aroma of clean malt, a bit sweet smelling and tons of pineapple, stone fruit, etc.. The smell reminds me a bit of the old tropical fruit Lifesavors (in a good way). Flavor is slightly malty, fairly dry and crisp with tons of tropical fruit again. Nice clean finish.

All in all a good beer but a bit overkill on the tropical fruit flavor. As the beer warms up in the glass this becomes more apparent. It was a good experiment and an interesting lesson on El Dorado. I can see this hop being good in combination with something more citrusy. Even a nice resiny, piney hop like Simcoe, would play well with this guy.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Hanna

Style: American IPA
Type: All Grain
Calories: 210
Rating: 0.0Boil Size: 6.87 Gal
IBU's: 46.43
Batch Size: 6.00 Gal
Color: 6.6 SRM
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Preboil OG: 1.060
Brew Date: - 02/08/2014
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.012
ABV: 6.94 %
Efficiency: 87 %

Grains & Adjuncts
AmountPercentageNameTimeGravity
12.00 lbs 96.00 %Crisp Pale Ale60 mins1.038
0.50 lbs 4.00 %Turbinado60 mins1.044

Hops
AmountIBU'sName Time AA %
0.75 ozs 30.31El Dorado60 mins 15.30
2.00 ozs 16.12El Dorado5 mins 15.30
2.25 ozs 0.00El Dorado0 mins 15.30
3.00 ozs El Dorado14 days. 15.30

Yeasts
AmountNameLaboratory / ID
1.0 pkgSafale US-05Fermentis US-05
1.0 pkgSafale S-04Fermentis S-04

Additions
(none)

Mash Profile
Medium Body Infusion In75 min @ 152.0°F
Add 15.00 qt ( 1.25 qt/lb ) water @ 164.0°F
Sparge
Sparge 16.00 qt of 170.0°F water over 10 mins

Notes
2-8-2014 - Brewday! Hit mash temp of 152F dead on. Pitched yeast at 65F. Currently sitting in 62F basement.
2-12-2014 - Bubbling has slowed significantly and ferm was at 58F... Warming it up a bit next to the radiator tonight and tomorrow. Depending on airlock activity will most likely cool down again to crash yeast tomorrow night or Friday. Hope to keg this weekend.
2-13-2014 - sampled today, came in at 1.012. Pale color, hint of hops on the nose, also some maltiness. Light bitterness and some slight hop flavor. Something else there I can't put my finger on. Very interesting beer all in all. Dryhopping will be fun!
2-17-2014 - Kegged and dry hopped today. Nice smelling beer, nice light color. Added 3 oz of El Dorado hops in a nylon bag. Very excited.

www.iBrewMaster.comVersion: 1.536

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

My cascade/centennial/Dorado IPA has now reached maturity. I used an even mix of each, with summit for bittering, for about 10 ounces of hops overall. Against the background of cascade and centennial, the El Dorado is definitely noticeable. But I wouldn't say that this has the same "holy crap" kind of tropical fruit impression I would get from 3 oz of Citra. There is a much more subtle note, especially on the nose, where I feel Citra can be extreme. Anyway, it's a good hop, and a good combination. I think I'd like to try an all-Dorado APA at some point to get a purer idea.

All in all a good beer but a bit overkill on the tropical fruit flavor. As the beer warms up in the glass this becomes more apparent..... I can see this hop being good in combination with something more citrusy. Even a nice resiny, piney hop like Simcoe, would play well with this guy.

I have a brewery near me that made an all El Dorado Double IPA, it was WAY over the top and needed a dance partner, I agree with simcoe

i used 8 oz of el dorado in a pale ale, 5 oz in a 5 day dry hop and so far i am not terribly impressed. my neighbor suggested i pair them with something else because he thought they were too subtle for his tastes. i should have listened. my thinking was that 8oz would give me a big flavor and aroma but so far it gives me a mildly fruity flavor at odds with the fairly large amount of hops i used. to be fair it has been on the gas for only 3 days so maybe it will shape up when it is fully carbed.

Bringing up an old thread, what do you guys think of a El Dorado/Amarillo APA with no bittering hops. Just a bunch of late kettle hops with lots of dry hops as well? Something like Golden Promise as the base malt. I had a commercial Pale Ale with this hop combo I believe and it was really nice.

Bringing up an old thread, what do you guys think of a El Dorado/Amarillo APA with no bittering hops. Just a bunch of late kettle hops with lots of dry hops as well? Something like Golden Promise as the base malt. I had a commercial Pale Ale with this hop combo I believe and it was really nice.

amarillo will easily overwhelm the milder el dorado hops.

Latest posts

Back