eHearms question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iasteeler

Reaction score
I am in the middle of an electric build, a lot of thanks to the threads here and the electric brewery. I bought the 50 foot ss tubing and tried to form it for the hearms coil, and now I have 50 foot of scrap tubing.

I found a place, Stainless Brewing, that sells preformed hearms coils. My question is do you need all 50 foot, or would 25 feet be enough to maintain the mash temp? I'm using keggles, and it seems that I'll have to heat a lot of water just to keep the coil submerged. Thanks for all the help.

I'm using 50 feet from stainless brewing in my setup. I have only used it once so far but I basically filled my mlt with all strike water and filled the hlt all the way up. I recirculated through the Hermes coil while the hlt was coming to temp. It took about an hour to bring about 14 gallons in the hlt and 7 gallons in the mlt to 167. I had enough water in the hlt to sparge and clean.

I don't know if 50 is necessary but it isn't really an issue of having to much water, at least for a ten gallon batch

25' is more than enough for thermal exchange as long as you have good thermal exchange on the exterior of the coil. (Recirculation pump or a stir method to keep the fluid in motion.)

Back