Efficiency into Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skelrad

Reaction score
Tell me where I've gone wrong...

I just finished up a brew day (BIAB) for a porter (Grant's Perfect Porter). My efficiency going into the boil was 83%. What's got me wondering where I should improve is the outcome going into the primary. My final gravity was 1.043, though it was expected to be 1.047. Based on the numbers Beersmith spit out, my efficiency into the primary dropped to around 71%. My efficiency into the boil is great, but it seems that I'm doing something "off" after that point, right? I don't have a good idea of what my boil off rate is, so I'm wondering if I'm just guessing too much and suffering the consequences. Any ideas what I can do differently to hit my numbers a little better?

Curious as well - given that this is a porter and I am low on my numbers, what does that mean to the final beer?

Yeah, I think this is a pretty low ABV beer to start with. I'm just curious if the gravity has any impact on flavor, dryness, finish, etc.

Back