Effect of amylase enzyme on a fruit beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJDore

Reaction score
I have an extract Wheat beer (didn't have much time on brew day) that I brewed and missed my target OG on. It ended up with an OG of 1.040. After 7 days I racked it on top of a dram of Lorann watermelon flavoring. Now 14 days in, I'm at 1.009 and the fermentation is complete. The watermelon character is unreal.

Question, though. I was considering using AE to dry the beer out and boost the ABV a bit since I only ended up at 4%. Will using the AE diminish the fruit flavor characteristic? I've read a good bit about the starches it attacks. I just don't want it to have such an impact that I end up with a dry wheat beer with little to no watermelon flavor.

What do you guys think?

Odds are if it's already at 1.009 there's nothing left to ferment and it's residual sugar (unfermentables in the form of dextrines). Add more extract next time. It will provide you with more fermentable sugar and you will end up with something higher in abv at the end. My favorite OG to shoot for it 1.070. It'll put you over 8% usually and that makes a happy Double_D...

Yes, amalyse will break down any dextrins in the beer into simple sugar that the yeast can munch. The problem is that it won't stop until everything is gone. If you want more alcohol, you'd be better off adding boiled and cooled extract, although this would change the character of the beer. You're best of drinking this batch and improving your recipe on the next go round.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've used AE before on a light ale and once it got to a FG I was happy with I just crash cooled it to end secondary fermentation. That seemed to work fine.

I was mostly concerned with how it would affect the fruit addition with this beer. I'll leave it be.

With respect to the recipe, I typically make this batch as a partial mash (stepping up to all grain this month) with full boil but just didn't have time on brew day so I went extract. Boil off was all wrong so missed my OG.

Yes, amalyse will break down any dextrins in the beer into simple sugar that the yeast can munch. The problem is that it won't stop until everything is gone. If you want more alcohol, you'd be better off adding boiled and cooled extract, although this would change the character of the beer. You're best of drinking this batch and improving your recipe on the next go round.

Since the wort is already at fermentation temperature (60-70 F) the amylase actually WON'T work. Amylase has a temperature range of 131-140 for the beta and 149-167 for alpha. And since it denatures when it's outside of those temp ranges for more than a half hour the correct answer is still no. Adding amylase enzyme won't do anything. Additionally if it's already "unfermentable dextrins" they're called that for a reason. Because they can't be broken down by amylase. Dextrins are short chains of starches/carbohydrates that the amylase didn't break down. The extract in a can is already boiled and cooled (because of the canning process) but you would have to stir this syrup into your fermented wort exposing it to more oxygen not to mention, when have you ever had an easy time stirring a thick syrup into something that was room temp? That's just not a good practical idea.

Since the wort is already at fermentation temperature (60-70 F) the amylase actually WON'T work. Amylase has a temperature range of 131-140 for the beta and 149-167 for alpha. And since it denatures when it's outside of those temp ranges for more than a half hour the correct answer is still no. Adding amylase enzyme won't do anything. Additionally if it's already "unfermentable dextrins" they're called that for a reason. Because they can't be broken down by amylase. Dextrins are short chains of starches/carbohydrates that the amylase didn't break down. The extract in a can is already boiled and cooled (because of the canning process) but you would have to stir this syrup into your fermented wort exposing it to more oxygen not to mention, when have you ever had an easy time stirring a thick syrup into something that was room temp? That's just not a good practical idea.

I have personally added alpha-amalase to a stuck fermentation at room temp which took the beer from 1.040 to 1.000. No new yeast, no new 02, no heat, just the enzyme. This personal experience inclines me to believe that this enzyme (while perhaps less active) is still very much active at room temp.

You're confused on dextrins. Dextrins are long chain (not short chained) complex sugars. The amalase will break these down.

As for adding more extract, there are plenty of ways to add it to a fermenter without introducing o2 or having issues getting it into solution. I simply offered a possibility, not my recommendation.

I have personally added alpha-amalase to a stuck fermentation at room temp which took the beer from 1.040 to 1.000. No new yeast, no new 02, no heat, just the enzyme. This personal experience inclines me to believe that this enzyme (while perhaps less active) is still very much active at room temp.

You're confused on dextrins. Dextrins are long chain (not short chained) complex sugars. The amalase will break these down.

As for adding more extract, there are plenty of ways to add it to a fermenter without introducing o2 or having issues getting it into solution. I simply offered a possibility, not my recommendation.

dextrin [′dek·strən]
(biochemistry)
A polymer of D-glucose which is intermediate in complexity between starch and maltose.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, I

I misquoted the enzyme. It's denatured over the temp range not under. And long chain, complex sugars are called starch.
Amylodextrin is a linear dextrin or short chained amylose (DP 20-30) that can be produced by enzymatic hydrolysis of the alpha-1,6 glycosidic bonds or debranching amylopectin. Amylodextrin colors blue with iodine.
(Beta) Limit dextrin is the remaining polymer produced by enzymatic hydrolyse of amylopectine with beta amylase which cannot hydrolyse the alpha-1,6 bonds at branch points.
(Alpha) Limit dextrin is a short chained branched amylopectine remain, produced by hydrolysis of amylopectine with alpha amylase.

Starch Structure
Starch is a glucose polymer composed of two primary molecules; amylose, straight chain glucose residues linked α-1-4 to the starch and amylopectin, which is a similar molecule linked to the starch at α-1-6 positions. Amylose comprises approximate 25% of the total starch molecule. Google for starch creative commons for a starch molecule helix.

Alpha-Amylase
α-amylase is an endo-enzyme that acts only on α-1-4 links in a starch molecule. It essentially targets these links randomly, with the exception of α-1-4 links in the immediate vicinity of a α-1-6 branch point. Because of the random nature of the links targeted by this enzyme, α-amylase quickly breaks down complex starch molecules.

The random nature of the way α-amylase acts also limits the amount of fermentable sugars generated by this enzyme. Only when it acts on the end of a glucose chain does it liberate glucose, maltose or maltotriose, which tends to happen only towards the end of mashing.

α-amylase generally tolerates high temperatures well, and works most effectively at a temperature range of 65°C-75°C (149°F-167°F).

Beta-Amylase
β-amylase works differently from α-amylase in that it acts only on the non-reducing end of glucose chains of a starch molecules, releasing a fermentable maltose sugar. The enzyme will eventually shorten the chain until it reaches a α-1-6 branch on the starch molecule. The resulting unfermentable starch is commonly referred to as a limit dextrin, which is one of the major components which provides body in the finished beer.

Unlike α-amylase, β-amylase is quickly denatured by high temperatures, with an active temperature range of only 55°C-60°C (131°F-140°F). To limit the speed the enzyme is denatured, a thick mash is generally effective, limiting a water to grain ratio of no more than 1 quart/pound.

Back