Edwort's cider Q's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSR6

Reaction score
is Potassium Sorbate OK if its in the cider I want to use? It's a local cider, with "less than 1/10 of 1% for freshness"

Also, where is a good place to find Montrachet Wine Yeast? Local grocer? or is a brew shop the only place?

I'd avoid anything with Sorbate. It is a yeast inhibitor and might really screw with fermentation. If less than 1/10 of 1% wasn't enough to do anything (mainly keep out yeast), it wouldn't be in there.;) Ask the mill if they sell any that is just pasteurized.

You should be able to find yeast at any homebrew store, and at any online homebrew retailer.

OK, this will be my first brew if all goes according to plan! I should be buying the carboys tonight!

I also plan on calling the orchard, telling them I'm allergic to potassium sorbate to see if they have alternatives available since you say its a no-go.. Either way I want to go with a local orchard's products.

As far as a first brew, I was pointed to this forum from another forum - sounds like this is a good "first" - and I plan on getting a 2nd carboy JUST for this to let it sit for weeks while also getting an extract beer kit. Good idea?

Sounds like my basement is ideal for fermenting? Very constant temps - normally around 65*F - give or take. It only varies by season, not day-to-day (deep basement, tall ceiling, no exposure). I even have a room that has a concrete ceiling too...

Yea, if you call around, you should be able to pick up some fresh juice. Some of the places probably add sorbate to the batches they send off to grocery stores etc to keep them fresher. Right now is pretty prime apple season so it shouldn't be a problem. If you tell them what you are doing, the might be willing to help you out with a blend that will really lend itself toward hard cider.

The second carboy is a good idea. No need to rush cider.

That basement temp is ideal for fermenting, especially with ale yeasts.

I just called my Orchard - they said they don't always put that in the mix - normally not until Nov when it'll be on the shelf longer (out of season). Right now their cider doesn't sit on the shelf for more than a couple days. They don't know for sure when they start adding it - they asked why - I told them what I was looking to do. The lady I spoke to seemed more concerned that its UV Pasturized than the sorbate?

Either way, they're going to call me back if they know for sure its not added...

UV Pasteurized is fine. Some people say pasteurization changes the flavor. It may somewhat, but you can still make good cider with pasteurized juice.

Latest posts

Back