Edmund Fitgerald

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbeazlie

Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the correct forum. However with all the talk about EF I really wanted to try this beer. Have never tried the "other", but I digress. The swmbo and I were in the OBX this weekend and went by Chip's Wine and Beer Market at mile post 6 shopping center. I did not see any EF there, but when I mentioned it to Chip he gave me a bottle from his personal stash. Told me it was an Xmas gift and would not let me pay him for it. I did buy an assorted case of other beers from him, but still thougt it was a nice gesture from him. The beer was simply wonderfull. I can see why it is listed in Beer Advocate as one of the 50 beers to try before you die. Anyway, if anybody is planning a trip to the OBX next year be sure to include Chip's store in their plans.

Sorry, it's not my taste. SWMBO has a taste for in occasionally, but not often...

Very solid porter....perhaps my second fav behind Fullers when it's on draught.

Chip sounds like a stand up kinda guy!

Also, OBX is a sticker you see on every ****ing SUV in the Washington DC area.

Yuri_Rage said:
I'd like to try it...in every sense of the meaning. Never had it in the bottle, SWMBO's never had it in the can.
Ha! Nearly spit beer through my nose!

But seriously, the Buffalo Wild Wings near me just started serving it and Burning River on tap. Had an EF on tap there after finishing my Christmas shopping last Saturday afternoon! The bartendress said they've had it there for ~2-3 weeks and, sadly, she thinks I'm the only person who had ordered it so far.

Rhoobarb said:
The bartendress said they've had it there for ~2-3 weeks and, sadly, she thinks I'm the only person who had ordered it so far.

I keep hoping to find somewhere here in Seattle that I can try one.
I was hoping that the Tap House Grill would have it. You would think, with 160 beers on tap, that a guy could get what is supposed to be the best porter being produced in the US, but NO!!!!!

rabidgerbil said:
I keep hoping to find somewhere here in Seattle that I can try one....

Unfortunately, you'll be hard pressed to find it anywhere west of the Mississippi. Great Lakes Brewing only distributes to Indiana, northern IL (Chicago area), Kentucky, Michigan, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Wisconsin. They are expanding, so maybe someday...

Rhoobarb said:
Unfortunately, you'll be hard pressed to find it anywhere west of the Mississippi. Great Lakes Brewing only distributes to Indiana, northern IL (Chicago area), Kentucky, Michigan, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Wisconsin. They are expanding, so maybe someday...

Lucky for me I'm only 90 miles or so from them and I can find it just about anywhere. I've even been to GLBC's brewpub and had it on tap.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm EF.

Great Beer, One of the few pleasures I acquired after moving from the Outer Banks to the Cleveland area. Great Lakes is a Great Brewery. Love that Christmas Ale too.:mug:

The same day I received my first EF via a special holiday "exchange", (Christmass Eve)...

The SWMBO decided that five years since EF last visited our home was long enough. ;)

I kid you not...Merry Christmas to me. :D

secretsanta5.jpg

EF is a great porter and my favorite regularly available beer from Great Lakes. However now that Commodore Perry is a regular EF is getting some competition.
Great Lakes makes some great beers, it too bad the only one usually available at area bars and restaurants is my least favorite.
Craig

Back