ECY21-Kolschbier. Anyone experienced with ferm temps/flavor profiles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cervid

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with this specific yeast?

I planned on primary fermentation around 59-60 based on what I've read about Kolsch yeasts, but as always, there is not a ton out there on ECY yeasts.

Would I need to do a Diacatyl rest at these temps?

I know traditionally Kolsch beers are filtered. Will this fall out after a few weeks in a cold keg, or filter on the way in.

Any suggestions, on this yeast specifically, are welcome.

How did it come out? I have had a wort with this in the fermentor for just about a week now. I am debating moving it to a secondary in a week or so to try to clarify it a little since I will not be kegging, have to bottle condition, and then lager it in the fridge in the bottles.

This also seems to be one stinky yeast in action. I have it in a small room under the stairs to keep it around 59-60, and when I opened the door I was blasted with the smell.

I have used ECY Kolsch once. I fermented at about 66 and it turned out well. IMO, the yeast let more of the pils malt come through then the WL 029 that I have used in the past. I am curious to see how the ECY strain would do at 60, which is where I brewed my previous Kolsch's using WL 029. I'm not sure you would need to do a d rest with ECY. Honestly, I would just leave it out at room temp if it were not to fg after the first time you check it. Just make a nice big starter and you will be fine!

To report back, I found it amazing. Everyone that has had it loves it. It did come out a little fruity, and I have had someone asked me if I used any.

I thought that the yeast itself was great even though I was not happy with the way my beer turned out. I had used a bit of honey malt in this recipe and looking back I wish I had left it out. The yeast added a slightly mineral taste which i really liked but I did not get any fruit flavors like messiah mentioned. I fermented below the low temp range and it attenuated fully.

I used 11 pounds Pilsner and 1 of what was supposed to be Vienna, but I think I had to sub with Munich along with German hops fermented at no more than 60F.

Latest posts

Back