ECY04 - brett only

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNGabe

Reaction score
Has anyone managed to score this? It's only been released a few times. I have used it as part of the blend and it's a tropical bomb.

I've got the Cantillon Iris strains from BKYeast to trade. I have all 3 blended together and #2 on it's own.

I used Brett Blend #1 it in a rye saison after fermenting with the ECY Saison Brasserie. It is funkier than I want, still an interesting beer, but the Brett completely overwhelms the base beer. Last weekend I split one of my last two bombers with the guy I brewed it with; after my first glass I cut the second with some clean saison and it really improved the balance.

Gah, I just realized I've had a brain fart. I saw there there is a new ECY 04 on his FB page and confused that with the ECY03 saison blend. The last few releases had the brett from the 03 blend solo, which is what I'm looking for. :smack:

Gah, I just realized I've had a brain fart. I saw there there is a new ECY 04 on his FB page and confused that with the ECY03 saison blend. The last few releases had the brett from the 03 blend solo, which is what I'm looking for. :smack:

I believe The Bruery uses the "Fantome" strain Al isolated for some of their beers.

I recently received some ECY04 Brett anomala. Planning a recipe and was thinking about doing an all Brett brew.

I ended up pitching into a cream ale wort and wasn't too impressed. I'm going to try a Blonde ale next time around. I also added some to a pale ale that was stuck at 1.026 with us05. I'm giving the pale 3mo to funk out and should be ready in May.

I really like the profile but I picked a bad style to pitch into.

I ended up pitching into a cream ale wort and wasn't too impressed. I'm going to try a Blonde ale next time around. I also added some to a pale ale that was stuck at 1.026 with us05. I'm giving the pale 3mo to funk out and should be ready in May.

I really like the profile but I picked a bad style to pitch into.

I just got a vial of this and am wondering what style you think it would work best in as a 100% Brett ferment. I'm leaning towards a fruit bomb pale ale.

I've seen a few threads using it for Ipa styles. But more toward using Brett b trois to give that nice pineapple aroma.

I just brewed a pale with it last weekend. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399742298.248818.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How long does it take to finish out? I really hate to have to wait for beers :) I've heard that three weeks in primary usually is a good amount of time to reach terminal gravity. Planning on making a nice big starter and pitching according to lager pitch rates.

I've been letting my 100% Brett beers go for 6-8 weeks before I keg. When I get back into town from work this week I'll take a gravity reading on the Anomala.

I would expect ECY04 to finish out in 4wk time.

A pale w/US05 that was stuck at 1.026 in Feb that I pitched ECY04 in is giving off some overripe fruit notes with mild funk after 3mo. Excited to dry hop heavily and keg soon. Then repitch into another hoppy pale wort.

I would expect ECY04 to finish out in 4wk time.

A pale w/US05 that was stuck at 1.026 in Feb that I pitched ECY04 in is giving off some overripe fruit notes with mild funk after 3mo. Excited to dry hop heavily and keg soon. Then repitch into another hoppy pale wort.

Why do you think your pale stalled at 1.026?

Why do you think your pale stalled at 1.026?

outdoor temps were in the single digits that day in Jan'14 in MA. First arctic brewday of that season. Extremely overshot the mash temp. Wasn't prepared and originally the beer was supposed to be strictly US05, but ended up pitching ECY04 when I found out it was stuck. I'm happy with Anomala's profile so far. Assuming the big dry hop does what I'm looking for.

I'm planning on dry hopping mine with 2oz of Styrian as well.

So I brewed mine 100% Brett Anamola ale on 5/3. It had a 1.056 OG and as of today (5/17) it is down to 1.016. There is still lots of yeast in suspension. So much you could see it at the bottom of the glass when it sat for a minute. It has a massive tropical fruit aroma and flavor. Similar but not the same as a 100% Brett claussenii pale. Still has the pineapple but also lots of citrus and mango going on. Very tasty so far.

ECY03 is one of my absolute favorite Brett Blends.
ECY04 however, is one that just turns my stomach. Its funky in a way that I don't particularly enjoy. 04 may work better in a darker beer, but in a light saison or similar style is is off-putting. YMMV.

Back