ECY 01/20 Aging/Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerFingers

Reaction score
So I have a lambic that I started in January with last summer's ECY01 (which I was told was the same as ECY20).
Anyway, its in glass now and was planning on aging it for a year. In the event that I move, I have 2 options for the beer as it is now-

either

1) try to move carboy to new location (another house) while not sloshing it too much (Pellicle will probably be disturbed).

or

2) bottle around the 6-7 month mark and move full bottles.

I know it needs more aging time than that, but which option would be preferable? Ideas?

I'd suggest racking to a keg and flushing with CO2 if you want to move it. You can keep it in there for the long haul and just pull the pressure relief valve every so often.

I drove a nearly full 5G ecy01 sour 'starter' batch to a friends for our barrel fill. It was only 2 miles away and I drove 25mph and that thing sloshed like crazy the entire trip, by the time I got there it was literally foamy on top.

I've seen a few other threads about transporting long-aging beers.

By the time my 15 gallon Solera is 2 years old I am going to have to move it, I plan to rack to purged kegs for the move, seal the sanke keg that it was held in, transport to my new house then rack it back into the Sanke onto a top off batch and cross my fingers.

Back