Economy kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolabrew85

Reaction score
I have a 9.5 gal economy boil kettle. I notice when I clean it after boiling, it has a thin tan film on the bottom. Nothing looks burned, but maybe that is some caramelization? Is this a big deal? Do heavy duty kettles do this? If they don't, is it worth upgrading to the heavy duty kettle (I am about to upgrade to gal capacity anyway)?Also, if I continue to use this kettle for a few more brews, should I avoid scraping the bottm of the kettle while stiiring during the boil so that i can avoid dispersing that film throughout the wort? (Or should I scrape from the beginning to try to avoid this film developing)? Or am I just overthinking this? Thanks!

Overthinking.

I get the same thing from time to time. It is just a result of some fine particulate getting through the sparge (assuming you do AG).

That sounds normal to me. When you are cleaning after a brew put a cup or so of vinegar and a little water to the kettle. Splash it around, wait a few minutes then a light scrub with a sponge then dump and rinse. Leaves mine clean and shiny every time.

It is stainless. I have not had a problem cleaning it. I have also not noticed anything wrong with my beer. I think I just got caught up in all the "Heavy duty kettle is better because no scorching" hoopla for a second there. So sounds like there is nothing to worry about. I was just wondering, because I am going to buy a 15 gallon pot this tomorrow so that I can start doing 10 gallon batches of my proven recipes. So I was just teetering on whether to get a 15 gallon economy kettle or a 15 gallon heavy duty kettle. The price difference is about $80-100 (about $150 v. 250), so worth considering. The other thing is, I do not see myself scaling up after this, so this will be probably be the last BK I buy, so that durability for the first time is also something worth considering.

I suggest you go to foodservicewarehouse.com check out these links:
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/vollrath/7315/p361281.aspx
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/browne-halco/58-13160/p5154.aspx
These are both 60 quart pots, neither comes with a lid, but the shipping weight of the second one is 3+ pounds heavier, and I don't believe they use different weight boxes. I just purchased a 40 quart pot based on the shipping weight, and I couldn't be happier. It is a very thick pot. YMMV

thanks, but I am looking for SS with at least one welded coupler/

Also, if I continue to use this kettle for a few more brews, should I avoid scraping the bottm of the kettle while stiiring during the boil so that i can avoid dispersing that film throughout the wort? (Or should I scrape from the beginning to try to avoid this film developing)? Or am I just overthinking this? Thanks!

I use Bar Keepers Friend. It works wonders on the boil kettle. You should be able to find it in the cleaning aisle of any grocery store.

Mark

Latest posts

Back