eBrewing and recirculation (Ss Brewtech)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I'm looking into switching from my current electric brewing system to the Ss Brewtech 20g single vessel solution. But when asking them a question they actually recommended that I also purchase their recirculation manifold to help keep a consistent mash temp. This threw me because one of the main reasons for me to switch was to NOT have to recirculate. In my system I need to keep the grains above the heating element so there is a large percent of liquid that is untouched by the grains. With such a system recirculating is really needed. I thought if my grains could sit on the heating element, then there would not be any need to recirculate.

I'd like to ask those with this Ss Brewtech single vessel system (or something similar) how much do you think recirculating is needed? I had assumed since the bag sits on the element, and no false bottom is needed, just a quick stir every 15 minutes or so would be fine.

My bag sits on my boil coil element in my 10g kettle but there is still some variation in heat from bottom to top of mash.

I don't recirculate but I have a whirlpool port mounted above the element coils that I run during mash and this keeps the thin mash moving and helps with a more uniform temp dispersion.

Lol, I still stir every 20 min more out of habit than necessity. When I do stir I'll see a 1.5- 2 degree temp dtop change on the controller, but that used to be 5 degrees on my induction burner.

Attachments

• 20191101_165938.thumb.jpg.4b686335ba3cf46e0705f00cf08bc134.jpg
    20191101_165938.thumb.jpg.4b686335ba3cf46e0705f00cf08bc134.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 89
My bag sits on my boil coil element in my 10g kettle but there is still some variation in heat from bottom to top of mash.

I don't recirculate but I have a whirlpool port mounted above the element coils that I run during mash and this keeps the thin mash moving and helps with a more uniform temp dispersion.

Lol, I still stir every 20 min more out of habit than necessity. When I do stir I'll see a 1.5- 2 degree temp dtop change on the controller, but that used to be 5 degrees on my induction burner.
Interesting. So there was a decent reason for them to recommend the re-circulation. I did look at that recirc port option but I had assumed it would only be useful for a whirlpool at the end of boil. I'm surprised you get enough wort on the outside of the bag for it to keep feeding the pump.

Another reason I'm considering the switch is because my current rig has a false bottom to keep the bag off the element. This cuts about 4 gallons from my mash in my 20g kettle. Last brew session I was too aggressive with the recirc and I had scorching on the element due to not enough wort draining fast enough. As a result I'm a bit put off by doing the recirc.

Edit - nevermind, I just realized you said it was a Blichmann. I didn't know you could put the bag on them as well.

Last edited:
A ULWD element makes a big difference in BIAB. I run my boil coil during mash with the bag resting on the coils and it doesn't scorch the bag or the grain.
Full volume BIAB is a thin mash and so works well with my whirlpool port and riptide pump to keep the grainbed moving and fairly even temp dispersion.
No false bottom needed, so no dead space.
I'm very happy using such a simple set up. ekettle, bag, hoist, pump, and controller.

I recently built an eBIAB system with a Blichmann kettle and BoilCoil. I don't use a false bottom for the same reason you mention. I didn't want to mess with pumps and hoses, so I decided not to recirculate. It works, but does require occasional stirring to keep the mash temperature even from top to bottom, since I don't insulate the kettle. You could do the same, or just heat to your strike temp, then cover the kettle with insulation and leave it until the mash time is done. I have had no problems with scorching the bag.

Marshall from Brulosophy uses the SS single vessel with no recirculation from what I can tell.
http://brulosophy.com/2018/12/20/ss-brewtech-1v-electric-brewing-system-product-review/
" In sticking with my typical method, and as a loather of pumps, I stirred the mash every 10 to 15 minutes "

I recently built an eBIAB system with a Blichmann kettle and BoilCoil. I don't use a false bottom for the same reason you mention. I didn't want to mess with pumps and hoses, so I decided not to recirculate. It works, but does require occasional stirring to keep the mash temperature even from top to bottom, since I don't insulate the kettle. You could do the same, or just heat to your strike temp, then cover the kettle with insulation and leave it until the mash time is done. I have had no problems with scorching the bag.

Marshall from Brulosophy uses the SS single vessel with no recirculation from what I can tell.
http://brulosophy.com/2018/12/20/ss-brewtech-1v-electric-brewing-system-product-review/
" In sticking with my typical method, and as a loather of pumps, I stirred the mash every 10 to 15 minutes "
I saw that review by Brulosophy which is what shocked me when the Ss Brewtech crew advised to re-circ. According to the review by Marshall he had zero temp issues.

He mentions that he stirs occasionally. If you're like me and want to keep things simple, try it without the recirc manifold and see if it works for you. You can add recirculation later if you feel the need. Recirculation definitely will keep the mash temp more even in a hands-off manner than not recirculating or stirring, but it introduces pumps and valves which add complexity, and can result in problems like stuck mashes.

A ULWD element makes a big difference in BIAB. I run my boil coil during mash with the bag resting on the coils and it doesn't scorch the bag or the grain.
Full volume BIAB is a thin mash and so works well with my whirlpool port and riptide pump to keep the grainbed moving and fairly even temp dispersion.
No false bottom needed, so no dead space.
I'm very happy using such a simple set up. ekettle, bag, hoist, pump, and controller.

Have you ever seen the wort get drained too fast? I'm surprised it hasn't caused the bottom to get dry. Maybe since both the drain and whirlpool port are outside the bag it doesn't have the issues I face now.

I have a 15 gallon SSbrewtech kettle with a boil coil. I stopped using the colander and recirculating during the mash to keep things simple and just let the bag sit on the boil coil during mashing. I may or may not stir during my typical ~30 min or so mash. Efficiency is only around 64% but I just account for that and keep it quick and simple.

Latest posts

Back