eBIAB setup thoughts/questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyowolf

Reaction score
Im trying to setup my eBIAB rig, attached is pic below... sorry for crude drawing but i dont have neat skechup skills :)

my question is , I want to incorporate a 3 way valve at the outlet of the pump to switch easily between recirc and thru the chiller.

Which would work better? an L type? or T type?

I will still have a shut off at the kettle outlet. Can the L or T type be shut off totally? or is it always open to one port or the other?

thanks in advance...

20170315_140828.jpg

Here's a pic of my proposed ebiab (basket) setup with chiller bypass. I used T flow 3 way valves. This was the only way this would work. I shouldn't have to move any plumbing during a brew.

IMG_2494.jpg

That seems like a lot of valves?? do you also have one on the output of the pump itself?

That seems like a lot of valves?? do you also have one on the output of the pump itself?

It is a lot of valves. I agree. All of them do have a function, at least in my head anyway. I will not have to move any plumbing during a session for anything. That was the plan.

It is a lot of valves. I agree. All of them do have a function, at least in my head anyway. I will not have to move any plumbing during a session for anything. That was the plan.

I guess I'm just not seeing what the two three way valves on the end are for??

The first 2 -3way valves control flow to the cfc. The third 3 way is a bit of an experiment in my head. The kettle has a whirlpool port below the basket level. The idea of the third valve is to either direct the recirculating over the top or through the whirlpool fitting. If I point the whirlpool fitting up at a 45 degree angle it would shoot up through the bottom of the basket and mix/stir the mash from underneath. My thought is that I could do that if there was a stuck mash. Once the basket is pulled and the boil is done I would whirlpool using that fitting or the top tube or a combination of the two. Just trying to cover different scenarios with minimal effort. I like the thought of experimenting with different methods and seeing if there is differences in the end product or not. I hope this explains my thought process.

If you are wondering why I have 2 valves for the chiller, that's so I can either chill the entire volume of wort in the kettle before transfer to a fermenter or chill a partial volume and then transfer. If I want to transfer directly from the chiller I would just take the recirculating tube and put that into the fermenter. Like I said in the earlier post I'm trying to cover all or as many scenarios as I can in one design.

No i understood that part, makes sense, makes me rethink my setup a bit.. thank you!

No i understood that part, makes sense, makes me rethink my setup a bit.. thank you!

Not a problem. Hopefully everything works when it's finally up and running. Good luck on yours as well. It's a fun hobby for sure.

Not a problem. Hopefully everything works when it's finally up and running. Good luck on yours as well. It's a fun hobby for sure.

where did you get the short SS tubing pieces? I would like to keep part of it... the part from the filter to chiller to valve all SS tubing

where did you get the short SS tubing pieces? I would like to keep part of it... the part from the filter to chiller to valve all SS tubing

Those are ss 3" nipples off of amazon. They were crap though and I'm ordering some new ones from bobby.

Back