eBIAB Pulley/Exhaust Setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIBrewer83

Reaction score
I am planning an indoor (basement) brewery location for an eBIAB setup. I will be building a custom stand, which is next to a utility sink. I am still trying to figure out how I can mount a pulley system (probably to the joists) above the pot, but also have an exhaust fan above the pot.

How has everyone else handled this...?

Thanks!

My exhaust is straight out a basement window behind the kettle, and the pulley line is attached directly overhead in the basement ceiling.

The simple approach IMO would be to have a piece of cord or rope either attach to the hood, or pass right through the good. Fwiw, I prefer to have the ratchet pulley attach to the bag rather than attaching the pulley to the ceiling.

I know that sounds backwards, but it works well for me.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Just went through this myself! Box fan in the window and eye hook attached in the ceiling to a joist. Worked great for a 15 lb grain bill this weekend!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399230333.880500.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1399230350.281626.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A window right there would be great! Unfortunately my windows are nowhere near my location. But, maybe I could mount the exhaust hood slightly behind the pot, so the pulley setup can freely pull up the bag. Or, as suggested, pulley going through the hood somehow. Hmm...

I have my pulley next to my hood, with my induction burner on a stainless steel cart I got at Sam's Club. I just push the cart over beneath the pulley for draining, then push it back under the hood for boiling.

1399423249361.jpg

1399423270158.jpg

1399423287532.jpg

I have my pulley next to my hood, with my induction burner on a stainless steel cart I got at Sam's Club. I just push the cart over beneath the pulley for draining, then push it back under the hood for boiling.

I'm digging your induction burner setup. Where did you find that and how well does it work? How long does it take to warm up say 7 gallons of strike water to about 160F or so? How do you think this compares to a good propane burner?

I'm digging your induction burner setup. Where did you find that and how well does it work? How long does it take to warm up say 7 gallons of strike water to about 160F or so? How do you think this compares to a good propane burner?

Learn more about the burner here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/will-cheap-3500-watt-induction-burner-work-301722/
The burner works well.
I use it for 2.5/3 gallon batches, but I've never timed it. I would guess it brings 4-5 gallons up to mash temp in less than a half hour?
Compared to propane? It doen't run out and I can use it inside, so it works for me! You do need a 240v 20amp circuit.

I am planning an indoor (basement) brewery location for an eBIAB setup. I will be building a custom stand, which is next to a utility sink. I am still trying to figure out how I can mount a pulley system (probably to the joists) above the pot, but also have an exhaust fan above the pot.

How has everyone else handled this...?

Thanks!

I'm also planning the exact same thing, but I'm making my custom stand with extra wheels I had laying around. The hood is going to be right against the wall, so I'll put a hook in the joist in front of the hood. When I need to lift the bag/basket I'll just wheel it forward, when it's done draining, wheel it back.

I plan on putting a sink in later next to the brew stand so moving it side to side will not work. Hope that helps.

Yes, that is a good idea. I may have to add wheels to do the same. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My setup is very similar to Carlk47

My failed adventures are here - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/exhaust-fan-condensation-drips-help-pic-423021/

My solution was this -
20130725_221300.jpg

With a big hook from the rafters like others, to hold the bag.
I put a big lid, shown behind the keg in the pic, over the kettle on an angle to the fan and it acts like a big exhaust ramp to the fan, works fairly well.

Moving the setup around, even with wheels, is not fun.

In my findings, if you dont have a window close to your setup you must have a BIG inline fan with very few elbows and no reductions and a Big hole in the wall to exhaust all the water.

Exhaust was the one of the things I failed at initially in my basement setup and had no idea it would be so hard to pull 1.5 gallons of water out of the area.

good luck
Kevin

Exhaust was the one of the things I failed at initially in my basement setup and had no idea it would be so hard to pull 1.5 gallons of water out of the area.

good luck
Kevin

Yes, getting enough exhaust is the key. I also feel that air exchange in the brew room or "exhaust" is more important than a hood to "capture" the steam. I have a hunch that even a fan in a window across the room will likely exchange more fresh air into the room than a hooded exhaust of modest volume.

My simple window fan below, while it does not efficiently capture the steam off the kettle, what it lacks in precision it makes up for in the sheer volume of air moved out of the house...my window looks similar to haeffnkr's btw :)

Unless you are going to go full out on a commercial type exhaust hood w/ ducted fan, I feel a good hard look at a simple window fan is worthwhile, JMO. I already owned the fan, so it was just a matter of opening the window and plugging it in :)

I just feel sometimes as homebrewers, we tend to over design when the simple and effective solution is at our fingertips...cheers!

Pic from a few years and kettles ago, but the exhaust hasn't changed.

Back