eBIAB Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafoster1987

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking to get back into brewing and have decided that eBIAB would be my best option for brewing. A couple of years ago I upgraded equipment and was looking to do 10 gallon batches, but my wife and I had our first child so all of that went out the door. We have since moved from Tennessee to Michigan so my brewing location at home has changed as well. After researching for the past month or so, it appears that eBIAB would make the most sense for me. I want to brew as frequently as possible while having a shorter brew day. Brewing larger batches isn't as appealing to me any longer either so I would like to do 2.5g batches, or maybe the occasional 5g batch. I also want to be able to brew indoors. eBIAB just seems to make the most sense for me.

Here's what I'm considering for my setup right now. And by the way, 240v is not a possibility as we only have a 240v range and I don't want to bother with moving it for brewing.

1. 10g Bayou Classic kettle - planning to use a hole saw and weldless fittings from brewhardware
2. two 1650w TC elements - one connected to the controller on one 15/20a circuit; the second on a different circuit and may or may not be connected to the controller
3. false bottom from brewhardware
4. Wilser bag
5. pump - to maintain mash temperature and to assist in cooling wort
6. steam slayer
7. chiller - not sure if what I want to do here yet but either immersion or counterflow
8. controller using EZboil like enormous13's - control 1 or 2 elements and pump

Here is a link to enormous13's build. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/diy-120v-ebiab-controller-help.638714/

enormous13 used powercon connectors and I don't necessarily want to use those. I also don't want to build the controller with the idea or possibility of rewiring it in the future for 240v. I just want to keep it simple for my purposes on 120v and 15 or 20a especially if it cuts costs somewhat. Having said that, I wouldn't mind spending a little more on illuminated switches/buttons to add aesthetic to the controller.

Any feedback or help with locating parts for the controller would be greatly appreciated. I did forget to add that I'd like to keep the entire setup around $500. I have a bunch of my old, unused or barely used, equipment to sell to put towards this new build.

I did my controller rebuild mostly off of Amazon and came in under $200 - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/biab-controller-rebuild-240-25a.656970/

I agree with your comment about spending a reasonable amount to make upgrades like the rotary switches and lights versus the 20amp light switch approach. The payoff is pretty big. I would also say that a proper enclosure of any variety is also a worthwhile investment. It gives a much nicer finished appearance.

On other topics:

1. I like my basically silent 24v DC pump (even though I can't whirlpool hops or recirculate for the chiller), my chugger pump is collecting dust now.
2. I like my copper immersion chiller (even though I may upgrade to the $200 stout stainless cfc at some point)
3. I originally under-estimated the value of being able to disconnect all the cords from the kettle, it's great and I've gone back and replaced everything with disconnects now.
4. The element is much easier to clean if you can easily remove it from the kettle after the batch.
5. I originally had my temperature probe mounted in line with the pump flow. This is somewhat harder to keep clean and doesn't work at all if you're not using the pump through the whole process. I switched to a through-wall configuration and like it more.

I think you'll end up having to compromise on some pieces to get the total build under $500, but you can probably get pretty close.

Hello all,

I am looking to get back into brewing and have decided that eBIAB would be my best option for brewing. A couple of years ago I upgraded equipment and was looking to do 10 gallon batches, but my wife and I had our first child so all of that went out the door. We have since moved from Tennessee to Michigan so my brewing location at home has changed as well. After researching for the past month or so, it appears that eBIAB would make the most sense for me. I want to brew as frequently as possible while having a shorter brew day. Brewing larger batches isn't as appealing to me any longer either so I would like to do 2.5g batches, or maybe the occasional 5g batch. I also want to be able to brew indoors. eBIAB just seems to make the most sense for me.

Here's what I'm considering for my setup right now. And by the way, 240v is not a possibility as we only have a 240v range and I don't want to bother with moving it for brewing.

1. 10g Bayou Classic kettle - planning to use a hole saw and weldless fittings from brewhardware
2. two 1650w TC elements - one connected to the controller on one 15/20a circuit; the second on a different circuit and may or may not be connected to the controller
3. false bottom from brewhardware
4. Wilser bag
5. pump - to maintain mash temperature and to assist in cooling wort
6. steam slayer
7. chiller - not sure if what I want to do here yet but either immersion or counterflow
8. controller using EZboil like enormous13's - control 1 or 2 elements and pump

Here is a link to enormous13's build. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/diy-120v-ebiab-controller-help.638714/

enormous13 used powercon connectors and I don't necessarily want to use those. I also don't want to build the controller with the idea or possibility of rewiring it in the future for 240v. I just want to keep it simple for my purposes on 120v and 15 or 20a especially if it cuts costs somewhat. Having said that, I wouldn't mind spending a little more on illuminated switches/buttons to add aesthetic to the controller.

Any feedback or help with locating parts for the controller would be greatly appreciated. I did forget to add that I'd like to keep the entire setup around $500. I have a bunch of my old, unused or barely used, equipment to sell to put towards this new build.

Hi from a bit west of Detroit. I set up a system to brew 2.5 gallons primarily but can do 5 (low gravity).

1. I use 2 7.5 gallon kettles for a 2 vessel RIMS system, these kettles are only 12" wide. And I insulate them.
2. One 2200watt element on a dedicated 20A outlet/circuit. Pushing it, but it works. This thing is too much for 100% power boil on 3.5 gallons of wort.
8. Built a diy panel using an Inkbird ITC-106vh(I think) and with external components hard wired into the panel. I'm currently planning a complete rework with an Auber DSPR320 as I'm really unhappy with how fiddly the cheap Inkbird is to control the boil and all disconnects on the panel so I can store it with no wires hanging off of it

For sourcing some of the electric parts (indicator lamps, selector switches, some connectors)... if you're patient, AliExpress has nutso prices. Talking $0.80 shipped for panel mount lights, <$2 switches... But 3 week ship times, unknown customer service, but 100% functional parts so far on my purchases.

Where in Michigan are you located? I'm near Saginaw. I researched some eBIAB systems a while back but decided on a 3-vessel eHERMS rig instead. If you want to buy turnkey instead of build you should look into either the new SS Brewtech 1V system (the smaller of the two they offer)... https://www.ssbrewtech.com/pages/electric-brewing
Or the smaller of the High Gravity Brewing eBIAB systems which is a 5 gallon set up... https://www.highgravitybrew.com/sto...tric-Wort-Hog-5-Gallon-BIAB-120V-445p4647.htm

I did my controller rebuild mostly off of Amazon and came in under $200 - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/biab-controller-rebuild-240-25a.656970/

I agree with your comment about spending a reasonable amount to make upgrades like the rotary switches and lights versus the 20amp light switch approach. The payoff is pretty big. I would also say that a proper enclosure of any variety is also a worthwhile investment. It gives a much nicer finished appearance.

On other topics:

1. I like my basically silent 24v DC pump (even though I can't whirlpool hops or recirculate for the chiller), my chugger pump is collecting dust now.
2. I like my copper immersion chiller (even though I may upgrade to the $200 stout stainless cfc at some point)
3. I originally under-estimated the value of being able to disconnect all the cords from the kettle, it's great and I've gone back and replaced everything with disconnects now.
4. The element is much easier to clean if you can easily remove it from the kettle after the batch.
5. I originally had my temperature probe mounted in line with the pump flow. This is somewhat harder to keep clean and doesn't work at all if you're not using the pump through the whole process. I switched to a through-wall configuration and like it more.

I think you'll end up having to compromise on some pieces to get the total build under $500, but you can probably get pretty close.

What pump/CFC would you look to next when you upgrade?

Hi from a bit west of Detroit. I set up a system to brew 2.5 gallons primarily but can do 5 (low gravity).

1. I use 2 7.5 gallon kettles for a 2 vessel RIMS system, these kettles are only 12" wide. And I insulate them.
2. One 2200watt element on a dedicated 20A outlet/circuit. Pushing it, but it works. This thing is too much for 100% power boil on 3.5 gallons of wort.
8. Built a diy panel using an Inkbird ITC-106vh(I think) and with external components hard wired into the panel. I'm currently planning a complete rework with an Auber DSPR320 as I'm really unhappy with how fiddly the cheap Inkbird is to control the boil and all disconnects on the panel so I can store it with no wires hanging off of it

For sourcing some of the electric parts (indicator lamps, selector switches, some connectors)... if you're patient, AliExpress has nutso prices. Talking $0.80 shipped for panel mount lights, <$2 switches... But 3 week ship times, unknown customer service, but 100% functional parts so far on my purchases.

I hadn't considered AliExpress for certain parts but yeah, they have great prices and the shipping timeline wouldn't be a problem. Thank you for the tip.

Where in Michigan are you located? I'm near Saginaw. I researched some eBIAB systems a while back but decided on a 3-vessel eHERMS rig instead. If you want to buy turnkey instead of build you should look into either the new SS Brewtech 1V system (the smaller of the two they offer)... https://www.ssbrewtech.com/pages/electric-brewing
Or the smaller of the High Gravity Brewing eBIAB systems which is a 5 gallon set up... https://www.highgravitybrew.com/sto...tric-Wort-Hog-5-Gallon-BIAB-120V-445p4647.htm
I live in Canton and work in Ann Arbor. I've looked at the turnkey setups but I would much rather put one together myself.

What pump/CFC would you look to next when you upgrade?
https://conical-fermenter.com/wc30x1/2-ss-tc-670_stainless-steel-wort-chiller.html

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/topsfloss.htm
Or
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/chuggermaxtefcss.htm

There should be almost zero reason for the big pump, but I have considered using a long run of tubing to transfer directly from the kettle to the fermentation chamber and that might want a better head pressure. Also CIP with a spray ball would want the high pressure and flow.

Back