Easy Readability and durability in Hydrometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-nome

Reaction score
OK, so I broke my el-cheapo hydrometer again. How many is that now? Many over the years.

I am thinking of trying something a little more expensive, but I need opinions. I am thinking of getting a scientific hydrometer from Cole Parmer or someplace that reads in 1.0005 increments and only from 1.000 to 1.070 (I don't often do bigger beers and can buy one that goes from 60 to 150 if I plan on it later). The price is like $37. Does anyone have one of these? Are they easier (or harder) to read than the cheap ones from the LHBS that go from 1.000-1.100 and read in 1.002 increments? Also, are they any more durable (thicker glass perhaps) than the cheap $14 or less ones.

Lastly, is anyone using a plastic one? I don't like the idea of the plastic anything, but am tired of breaking them....and the plastic ones are $62 for 1.000-1.220 in 1.002 increments....are they easier to read than a cheapo one also with a 1.002 increment?

I can't comment on the Cole Parmer hydrometer and I have not seen a plastic one anywhere. Here's my recommendation for a glass one that's much easier to read and it won't break the bank at only $12.90:

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/PRECISION_SPECIFIC_GRAVITY_P539C74.cfm

It's a full range hydrometer but the gradations are 20% bigger. Much easier to read IMO. I have one and like it a lot. Now then, I've been using the same hydrometers for nearly 10 years. I have several and have never broken one. You need only handle and store them with care. It's not that hard to do. A refractometer is somewhat more rugged, but they also need to be handled with care. It's good to have one of each in your arsenal.

I have tried that hydro from CP and it's better. I have to use reading glasses and it's still hard to read. That one from Williams above looks nice. Imma prob get me one but I'm still using my original True Brew hydro from the mid-90s.

Thanks to many about their opinions.

To Spanish Castle Ale: If the expensive one from CP is still hard to read, what is better about it? Is it more durable?

To Beernik: I discount refratometers because they are more difficult (or can't be used) to use with finished beer, right? But, you make a good point. If I have to own two things or I am going to spend more, I like the idea of the quick read refractomters and maybe a bottling hydrometer. Is the refractometer rugged as well, or can it easily be broken? Is the accuracy good enough?

Has anyone used the bottling hydrometer/refractometer combo, and is it easy (or easier than their el-cheapo) to read? Are their any other pitfalls?

Thanks in advance to take time from brewing to answer (don't we all wish that we were brewing that much?).

The refract only reads the percentage of sugar remaining in solution. So once you have alcohol, you'll have to used correction factors to get your final gravity number. I'll search around to see if I can find it. I'm sure most computer programs will correct it for you.

I don't about it's ruggedness. But it does come in a foam lined box.

You have to keep it calibrated. And you can get a false high reading if you get yeast or trub on the prisim or a false low reading if your wort isn't well mixed.

Austin Home brew has a new refractometer that reads SG and Brix, and there are plenty of conversion tables for alcohol compensation. I still use a hydro because I have not fully trusted my refractometer yet.

I still use a hydro because I have not fully trusted my refractometer yet.

Ditto.

Buy two hydrometers, keep one in a closet for when you break the one. Try and be careful with it. I've broken 1 in 2 years. I see some people break dozens of them!! I think, WTF?! be careful with the long thin glass, weighted on one end, tube!!

Austin Home brew has a new refractometer that reads SG and Brix, and there are plenty of conversion tables for alcohol compensation. I still use a hydro because I have not fully trusted my refractometer yet.

Those conversion tables seldom yield an accurate value. I stick to a hydrometer for FG readings.

For those of you breaking them a lot they are fragile, slippery when wet and should have warnings posted on them about drinking and measuring gravities...;)

GT

Those conversion tables seldom yield an accurate value. I stick to a hydrometer for FG readings.

For those of you breaking them a lot they are fragile, slippery when wet and should have warnings posted on them about drinking and measuring gravities...;)

GT

FYI - I took gravity readings from both my finished Saison, and my kegged Wit last night and after putting into my spreadsheet calculator it was dead on.

Refractometers are GREAT! I love using it to take readings while brewing. Once fermentation has started, though, you do need to use a formula to figure out the FG. Not a big deal, and I want to look into writing a mobile phone app that will do it (not me writing it, but someone with better programming experience). And you do need to check calibration fairly often.

You can get a generic wine/beer refractometer for like $30-40, or one with SG for like $60.

I have had the same hydrometer since I started 20 years ago. Only been brewing much the past 3 years or so, but I still cannot understand why some people break so many of them. It's best to have a hydrometer AND a refractometer IMO. Hydrometers are just real cheap, why not own one.

I'm with Homer on this. I've done a few comparisons with the Refractometer and the Hydro. Using the conversion spread sheet from More Beer (I think that's who's it is) they resulted in the same reading.

FYI - I took gravity readings from both my finished Saison, and my kegged Wit last night and after putting into my spreadsheet calculator it was dead on.

Refractometers are GREAT! I love using it to take readings while brewing. Once fermentation has started, though, you do need to use a formula to figure out the FG. Not a big deal, and I want to look into writing a mobile phone app that will do it (not me writing it, but someone with better programming experience). And you do need to check calibration fairly often.

You can get a generic wine/beer refractometer for like $30-40, or one with SG for like $60.

I have had the same hydrometer since I started 20 years ago. Only been brewing much the past 3 years or so, but I still cannot understand why some people break so many of them. It's best to have a hydrometer AND a refractometer IMO. Hydrometers are just real cheap, why not own one.

+1-1/3 and the refractometers are also relatively inexpensive. A serious home brewer should have one of each. I may be the exception, but I've never had to recalibrate my refractometer. I do check it occasionally, but it's always been dead on. I find the refractometers to be reliable and they provide reasonably accurate readings when used properly. It's best to take multiple readings iMO. I figure if I am close on the readings with two samples I'm good to go. I always make it a practice to take a post boil sample and measure it with a hydrometer to verify the OG. I let the sample cool of it's own accord and check it later. Usually it agrees with the refractometer within a point or so and I'm good with that

My solution to the broken hydrometer issue was to just buy 2 right off the bat, this accomplished several things, I have a backup in case I break one, but it also ensured that I will never break it because I have that backup one, rendering the second hydrometer a waste of valuable brewing money, the brew gods are a cruel lot.

My solution to the broken hydrometer issue was to just buy 2 right off the bat, this accomplished several things, I have a backup in case I break one, but it also ensured that I will never break it because I have that backup one, rendering the second hydrometer a waste of valuable brewing money, the brew gods are a cruel lot.

I tried this once and broke both in successive weekends. Those were the last two I bought.

I've got yall beat, I haven't broken a glass hydrometer since I bought a total of three :) I usually clean and sanitize two of them so if one breaks or was recently used, the other is ready to go. The other stays out of harms way. The hydrometers might even think I have 4 because the fourth 'hydrometer' I bought was actually a floating thermometer. Pissed me off when I found out years later and looked at it, I don't need a floating thermometer, turns out it is slow to read the temp and its inaccurate to boot.

As far as why I've broken some, one simply rolled off the table. Simple as that, either an accident or carelessness. The other one I think got crushed by a bucket I was trying to submerge in the same cleaning water.

Closer to on topic, I've been considering getting a refractometer to help for all grain stuff and I happened to come across a really cheap one, can it be true and anywhere worth the money?

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php...id=459&zenid=46999e220440920295ee32ab1da33d1d

So do you have to sanitize every time you take gravity readings? And after you take readings do you normally put the sample back into the fermenter? How often do you take readings? I've had my first batch in there for almost a week now and havent taken any sort of reading on it except day one's gravity reading. When should I do my next one?

Drink the sample!

And I usually check gravity about once a week just to see how things are getting along. Some folks check before pitching and check again before bottling.

Latest posts

Back