Easy framboise recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kip

Reaction score
I've been looking around for an easy fraboise recipe for my wife and was hoping for some assistance. I've looked around the net and got a start on my plans but I trust you guys here for a more definitive recipe.

Here is where I'm at:

5 gallon batch of either a pale ale or wheat beer to start (the wife prefers pale to wheat beers maybe I'll do one of each to increase my chance of something drinkable)

Secondary fermentation: A few pounds of previously frozen raspberries (how many pounds? Do I need to boil or microwave them for sanitary purposes?)

Then what? I've read without the special framboise yeast and 2 years aging which I do not have the time or space to do the beer will be sour. I read to add pectin in one place and another was to add splenda. Thoughts?

Once done I'll clear and keg. (Should I filter?)

Cheers!

If you are wanting a framboise lambic, I don't think you will be able to do one without the extended aging. The bugs take a long time to do their thing , and are really what make the beer what it is. A raspberry wheat, on the other hand, could be done in a few weeks.

Very rough approximation may be done quickly by making a Berliner Weisse and using a raspberry concentrate at serving. I mean VERY ROUGH approximation but at least it's fast. The real deal? Very low hopped wheat and 2-row mix about 50/50 mix in a carboy pitched with lambic blend, wait at LEAST 1 year.

If you are wanting a framboise lambic, I don't think you will be able to do one without the extended aging. The bugs take a long time to do their thing , and are really what make the beer what it is. A raspberry wheat, on the other hand, could be done in a few weeks.

Okay I'm on board with the raspberry wheat. Do you have a recipe? I think I'll still do one pale and one wheat just to see but mainly I need help once the primary fermentation is done and the Raspberries come into play.

Thanks!

If you were trying to get some tartness you could do a sour mash. It won't have the complexity of a lambic but it will have more complexity than without. Alternatively, you could use acid malt or lactic acid additions at bottling.

Are you trying for something like the Lindeman's framboise? If so, there's no sourness and very little funk that comes through over the fruit and heavy dosing of sugar. If that is your goal you are best off starting with a simple wheat ale and tossing in some raspberries for a few weeks. You might even need to add lactose or another unfermentable sugar to reach the sweetness of those products.

Lindeman's Framboise isn't a sour. It is just a heavily fruited beer. You can pull off something similar with about 8lbs of fruit in secondary of a 10lb/5 gallons two row base beer lightly hopped with something mellow, like Cascade.

Back