East Coast Syle IPA Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is this bad advice? the advice is actually placed on most liquid yeast vials stating they are good for up to 5 gallons without starter. Are you familiar with brulosophy and their exbeeriments? Please check out Ray's experiment using a single vial vs yeast starter.

http://brulosophy.com/2015/04/20/yeast-pitch-rate-single-vial-vs-yeast-starter-exbeeriment-results/

Here is Ray's conclusion:

"I’m inclined to defer to the yeast labs here and suggest that perhaps they know a thing or two about how their product is going to perform. At the same time, the fact a beer made with a single vial of yeast pitched directly into wort was not reliably distinguishable from a beer fermented with a “proper” amount of cells propagated in a starter, well, that sort of bewilders me."

I've seen the ex beeriment and while you can be a little looser with starters.
But what is not mentioned is
1- vial freshness. For guys like the above who may not be as familiar with liquid yeast the viable cells in the vial go down.
So if the vial is 3 months old then it's not as viable as a fresh one.
If it's fresh then yes you maybe able to pitch a vial straight in

But as per the experiment he lag on the yeast is noticeable and can affect the beer in some circumstances.
So I always pitch the vial in a litre starters get it running quickly. Fermenting quickly and finishing quickly to minimise possible off flavours.

Just ordered ingredients for this and I'm super stoked to brew it! I live in South Korea and haven't been able to experience this style yet, but just reading about it, I knew I had to brew it! I'm wondering if anyone has soured this or anything similar. I'm looking to use Conan, WLP644 and Lactobacillus Brevis. Any thoughts on this?
Could always kettle sour, then boil and then continue as normal

val, what was your OG ? did i miss it?

i'm looking to try something like this in the near future, and the glasses of the finished product you posted look like straight up OJ. im diggin it.

This is my most recent batch. Pretty similar to the "north east IPA" recipe.

48% 2 row
24% Maris otter
16% oats (flaked)
6% Carapils
6% flaked wheat

1oz centennial fwh
1oz farmhouse blend @10min
1oz simcoe @10min
1oz azzaca @10min

Flameout / whirlpool @180* for 20min
1oz farmhouse @FO
1oz azacca @FO