Easing into electric brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregkeller

Reaction score
So is there a way to ease into an electric brewery that gives me the option later on to upgrade to a fully electric three vessel system, ala the electric brewery? Here is my situation, I am currently using a 15 gallon kettle and 70quart cooler mlt with a propane burner. Doing 10 gallon batches and everything is pretty good. Would love to go the full electric route but don't want to upgrade everything all at once to try and spread out the monetary commitment. That being said I don't want to do something now that won't work later on or won't be able to scavenge the parts from. I am not expecting to use everything but for example if I'm going to have to buy an enclosure, I'd rather get a big enough one now that will work down the line.

I've got access to 50 amp 220/240 service right next to where I brew outside. Had a hot tub on my patio that is gone but the spa panel is still there, so that's not an issue.

Any ideas? Just don't have 5k to drop on a shiny new setup all at once. Am I better off buying components as I get the money and just brewing with what I've got until I've got all the pieces?

Why not start with a brew in a bag type set up? Or maybe you can do some sort of setup where you recirculate mash between the kettle and cooler and then boil in kettle. That you initial start up cost would be the electric panel, a pump, and the element install on the kettle.

I did the same thing.

I first upgraded the bk to electric, used that to heat strike water, mashed in cooler, then sparge like normal, collected in a spare keg, then transferred back into electric kettle.

After that I upgraded to an hlt. Then later on a MT.

As far as the control panel, you will want to build the whole thing upfront. It will be very annoying to go back and add to it later. There is an excellent intructable that shows how to build a "budget" controller without sacrificing to many features. I built my control panel for roughly 400

How big of a kettle would I need to do 10 gallon BIAB batches? I have a 15 gallon kettle that I had planned on keeping and using as my HLT and realize I'll have to upgrade to 20 gallon mash and boil kettle. Is 20 gallons big enough to handle seven gravity beers via BIAB? It doesn't seem like it

How big of a kettle would I need to do 10 gallon BIAB batches? I have a 15 gallon kettle that I had planned on keeping and using as my HLT and realize I'll have to upgrade to 20 gallon mash and boil kettle. Is 20 gallons big enough to handle seven gravity beers via BIAB? It doesn't seem like it

You can't do 10 gal full volume (no-sparge) BIAB batches in a 15 gal BK. You can however do 10 gal batches if you add a sparge step. Easiest to incorporate is a pour over sparge, as it doesn't require a second vessel large enough to hold your bag with full grain bill. You'll also need to be more vigilant during the hot break to avoid boil overs.

Brew on :mug:

If you're going to expand eventually, then plan out your final system as completely as you can. Lay it out physically to determine what size enclosure you will need, including both front panel and internal component layout. Then start by just getting what you need to electrify the boil kettle. Make sure you use 6AWG wire for your power feed so you don't have to up-size the wire later.

I wouldn't use the design linked in an earlier post for your situation. You don't want to cut odd size holes in the panel for components that will need to be replaced, and a Leviton 3032 type switch isn't going to cut it for your expanded 50A panel. You'll want to use a lower current SPST switch controlling a 60A contactor instead, as this combo will still be needed in your final configuration.

If you need some assistance with panel design, just ask.

So build a full sized panel with all the goodies and then buy the vessels as money fits going 1) boil 2) HLT 3) mash tun?

So build a full sized panel with all the goodies and then buy the vessels as money fits going 1) boil 2) HLT 3) mash tun?

You don't have to completely populate the panel. Just have it all planned out and sized. You only have to put in the components you need initially, but you want to make sure those components are the same as the ones you will need in your ultimate system. You might want to drill all the holes in the panel that will eventually be required, and plug them until needed. This way you don't have to take everything out of the panel to drill new holes when you add stuff. You don't want to be drilling with components in place, as you risk damaging components, and can end up with metal shavings in undesirable places.

It all depends on you. Do you want/like all the bling and bells and whistles or do you just want to make beer? Theres both types here. I'm the latter. I like keeping it simple. Youll make the same beer either way. If you want all the "stuff" then make a plan if not just get a 20 gallon pot 5500w element an a super simple controller and they'll be no need to add on and youll be full electric for just a few hundred bucks from the start...a pot is a pot and heat is heat...the beer could care less. Its the brewer that has "needs"

Back