Easiest way to purge hops with CO2 using a Fermentasaurus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sampsonh

Reaction score
I have recently been hopping (and especially dry hopping) a lot heavier and have noticed that the flavours I get are not like I might expect. They are not fully oxidised but I am starting to thing that I am introducing too much oxygen when dry hopping.

I use a fermentasaurus conical fermenter and add the hops via the screw in bottle at the bottom. The problem with this bottle is that it introduces a lot of O2. I wondered what the easiest way to purge with CO2 is to prevent this oxidation. I bottle condition all my beers so don't have an expensive keg setup and want a simple way to do it. I have never really had much trouble with bottling introducing CO2 until I started making much hoppier beers and have read that hoppy beers are more prone to oxidation.

Any advice greatly received.

I recently purchased a Fermentasaurus. Have not even used it yet. I dont plan to use it for pressurized fermentation (yet) as I want to get used to using it first. From the looks of many videos, you would need some source of CO2 to purge the hop container if you go that route. I cant tell if you are pressure fermenting or now. would be hard to use it as a pressure fermenter without a CO2 tank.

That said, I am still unclear why you would add hops in with the bottle anyway. Why not just put them in the top? CO2 is heavier than air so no need to risk oxidation. Why not just use the bottle for collecting trub/yeast?

I know this doesnt answer your question fully/.

I have recently been hopping (and especially dry hopping) a lot heavier and have noticed that the flavours I get are not like I might expect. They are not fully oxidised but I am starting to thing that I am introducing too much oxygen when dry hopping.

I use a fermentasaurus conical fermenter and add the hops via the screw in bottle at the bottom. The problem with this bottle is that it introduces a lot of O2. I wondered what the easiest way to purge with CO2 is to prevent this oxidation. I bottle condition all my beers so don't have an expensive keg setup and want a simple way to do it. I have never really had much trouble with bottling introducing CO2 until I started making much hoppier beers and have read that hoppy beers are more prone to oxidation.

Any advice greatly received.
I've had the same issue. I have been purging the bottle from my blichman beer gun and quickly putting it on. I'm sure it's not perfect, but it seems to help. I think I will try skipping the bottle and just dumping the dry hops into a bowl on the next batch. Just worried about how much beer I'll lose

I recently purchased a Fermentasaurus. Have not even used it yet. I dont plan to use it for pressurized fermentation (yet) as I want to get used to using it first. From the looks of many videos, you would need some source of CO2 to purge the hop container if you go that route. I cant tell if you are pressure fermenting or now. would be hard to use it as a pressure fermenter without a CO2 tank.

That said, I am still unclear why you would add hops in with the bottle anyway. Why not just put them in the top? CO2 is heavier than air so no need to risk oxidation. Why not just use the bottle for collecting trub/yeast?

I know this doesnt answer your question fully/.
Dry hopping from the bottom keeps the beer under pressure

I've had the same issue. I have been purging the bottle from my blichman beer gun and quickly putting it on. I'm sure it's not perfect, but it seems to help. I think I will try skipping the bottle and just dumping the dry hops into a bowl on the next batch. Just worried about how much beer I'll lose

I agree .I'm not going to be putting hops in the bottle again .I have to say I like the fermentasaurus for fermenting bit I'm struggling to bottle from it. Almost teampted to go back to a bucket ... Think the next step is kegging and doing closed transfer... Money money money.

Back