Easiest way to make a homemade syphon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm look to make a feasible homemade syphon for my wine and all tutorials on homemade ones have items that are simply not available where I live, I wish I understood the physics of it so I can recreate it in a feasible way.

Theres these utotrials but I dont know if they work for the wine? This one for instance would be telling me to insert it into the sedmints riling things up:

And does this one work for wine? Seems to have an odd desiign?

I can get the plastic tubes from a medical supply shop but anything else like a u shaped tube or a pump is not possible due to the supplies available where I live. (Things like a water bottle or glue gun are of course accessible)

Any ideas if you have your own design? My goal is to not disturb the sediment.

I will be filtering with 300 mesh funnel filter after siphoning.

Can you just use a brand new aquarium siphon and clean it really well? They are just made of plastic with vinyl tubing. They are widely available at pet stores including big chain pet stores.

The physics is that you are taking a liquid from one elevation to a lower elevation and it has to pass through a higher elevation than the initial elevation or lower than the final elevation.

to make it work, you have to have enough pressure or velocity to make it through the middle elevation. Then the pressure gradient does the rest.

That said, an auto siphon is $14 & tubing is cheap. I doubt you’ll save money with a build if you are using food grade materials unless you already have them.

(inverted siphons are common in irrigation & sewer systems)

Last edited:
Positioning each end is the first step, a pickup cup is generally placed on the sediment end prior to siphoning and vacuum is the key to starting the siphon, .188 ID tubing is the easiest to start a siphon but is slower than .25 ID. Cover carboy tops with foil once siphon begins and of course adding S02 should be considered

About $15-20 at any brew supply store.
auto-siphon.jpg

Here is very simple method using only tubing: Put your wine on the counter and the receiving vessel on the floor. Boil some water to sanitize it and let it cool. Immerse your sanitized tubing in the water so that it fills with water. Then take out the tubing, lifting both ends so that the water stays in it. Insert one end in your wine on the counter, holding the other end higher. Then put the other end in another container to catch the water and lower it to the floor. Let the liquid flow out until the water is pushed out of the tubing and the wine is beginning to come out. Pinch the tubing to stop the flow, and transfer the lower end into your sanitized receiving container on the floor. Gravity will do the rest. Try to keep the tubing end in the source container on the counter slightly off the bottom so that it does not pick up any sediment (tape might be helpful for this).

You might want to practice this with only water first. The first few times you will probably spill some on the floor, like I did when I first started siphoning.

Hmm... all you need is a flexible food grade tube, about five feet long. Place the full carboy or bucket (the source) on a table and the empty carboy (the target) on a towel on the floor. Gravity is going to work with you. Stick one end of this tube into the carboy and perhaps look for a clothes pin or a binder clip to hold the tube in place. Take the other end and suck on it to create a vacuum and suck on it until the wine begins to flow up the tubing. Remove the tube from your lips and place that inside the target. You want to continuously monitor the level of the wine in both the source and the target because as the wine flows from the source you will want to lower the tube so that the end is always submerged but always above the sediment. With regard to the target since you placed your lips around the OUTSIDE end you will want to try to keep that end above the surface of the wine but in truth unless you have some contagious disease or skin disease the alcohol in the wine is likely to act as a bactricide and kill most bacteria that may have been transferred from your lips. If mouthwash is sold in the country you might apply that to your lips before sucking... but personally, I wouldn't overly worry about it.

Back