Early kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetchuck

Reaction score
I have a batch that is in secondary, on it's third week now in total. Still slowly burping away. It doesn't look quite done yet (I'm totally flying blind here) I do not have a good OG and have no idea how much is left. I originally wanted to bottle it but it's too soon I think and I'm not sure how much to prime. I have two carboys (the other one has another batch in it that needs racked) and I want to get this beer packaged.

I'm thinking about kegging it and force carbonating it. Let it sit in the keg for two weeks or so and check the carbonation pressure with the regulator, adding co2 if needed. That would free up that carboy and allow me to crank another batch off.

Can anyone foresee any problems with this plan?

No, totally shooting from the hip here.

It 'looks' like it's almost done, you know when it gets less cloudy looking. Still a little fermentation going on. I have a second batch, same method, ingredients that was brewed a week later and it looks closer to bottling than than the first batch. I will want to bottle that batch after another week or so in secondary, but I'm just impatiently wanting to keg this first batch to keep the conveyor belt moving.

I know, I'm probably pushing the envelope.

Keg it as it is add a small amount of malt or sugar in the keg and it will carb itself, add co2 in a week or 2, to tap. I have done it before works fine might get a little trub cloud in first couple of beers but no big deal.

Latest posts

Back