Early Hop Status: Good, Bad and the Ugly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LabRatBrewer

Lost in a Maze
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here are pic's of this year's garden:
1. My 3rd year Cascade finally broke ground:
2. My "lucky dog" Williamette and the Fuggles are doing alright, though stalled:

3. My 1st year Cascades started great (the the cloned clipping is doing well still) but the two main plants seem to be burned:

DSC_0953.jpg

DSC_0954.jpg

DSC_0955.jpg

DSC_0960.jpg

DSC_0962.jpg

How did the hop plant get the nickname "lucky dog" Williamette? Please tell me a dog didn't ingest any??? If so, please tell me the outcome was OK!

That dying leaf issue could be static water in the root zone from not allowing it to dry down enough between waterings and/or pour drainage. That or possibly a lack of fertility as well. Maybe a shade issue as well.

I think it is likely static water. A sprinkler system was installed after I planted them. I am trying to get the watering reduced. Unfortunately, I am not in control of the sprinklers.

I think it is likely static water. A sprinkler system was installed after I planted them. I am trying to get the watering reduced. Unfortunately, I am not in control of the sprinklers.

I'd suggest getting the watering in check soon. If the ground stays saturated and doesn't drain well it will be detrimental to your hops. You may be looking at starving the roots of oxygen and future root rot.

an option for dealing with this is to put a plastic "skirt" of some sort around the plant so that any water that falls is then carried away. this would keep the soil immediately around the plant (and under the skirt) dry. remove skirt when it's time to rehydrate, replace when it's time to dry out.

an option for dealing with this is to put a plastic "skirt" of some sort around the plant so that any water that falls is then carried away. this would keep the soil immediately around the plant (and under the skirt) dry. remove skirt when it's time to rehydrate, replace when it's time to dry out.

Thanks, I like this idea better than transplanting.

Early this year I clipped a arm off of one of the early cascades, dipped it into rooting powder and nursed it along. It is now the garden champ (15 feet) Its mother plant died back, but now it and all of the cascades appear to have gotten a second wind. The Kent golden just does not want to grow up. The Williamette got the tips eaten by wildlife. It has a couple new shoots breaking ground. Hopefully, all will just be growing late into the summer.

Latest posts

Back