E kettle choice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KartRacer54

Reaction score
I am in the planning stage of a e RINS setup. I can buy legal keg gels with two welded fittings at about the same money as a 15 gal kettle. Any opinion as to the better solution.

It depends on a couple things, if you can get 15g kettles you can also get 20g, which are better for high gravity brewing. In my keggle I can't go more than about 14g and then have to baby sit it all the way down, even with fermcap. It is totally doable though. But I don't go above 8-9% like ever, so it's never been much of a concern to me.

Plus side, cheap. sturdy as sh*t, with some reflectix they hold temps great, look cool, and you can bottom drain off them. No dip tube makes me a happy brewer.

I like the idea keggles but don't want to upgrade a third time so I guess I will lean towards 20 gal kettle.

I am in the planning stage of a e RINS setup. I can buy legal keg gels with two welded fittings at about the same money as a 15 gal kettle. Any opinion as to the better solution.

I would take a kettle over a keggle, unless you want to flip the keg upside down and have it drain from the bottom.

Bottom drain is nice but not necessary.

I agree. It's the only real advantage of the keggle IMO. Kettles are lighter, which makes them easier to clean.

Keggles are heavier, but inverted allows fot clean in place.

I just did my first EBIAB with a 20 gal concord pot.The key is the hop bag.I auto siphoned to 2 5 gal buckets.Almost no trub.I lifted the basicly empty pot to the sink(not heavy),shot some water around the pot while it drained into the sink and sponged wiped it out.Nice big open pot.Real easy for cleaning

Back