E-Keggle BIAB - Bag Off Element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJvermonster

Reaction score
Hi All,
I made an E-Keggle and want to do BIAB. I looked for examples how to keep the bag off the element but everything was from 10 years ago. Was wondering if anyone had any good modern solutions to keep the bag off the element? All and any help is very much appreciated!

False bottom...

Of some sort...

As easy as a cheap steamer basket or colander ... or as fancy as a custom made umpty-ump micron mesh screen with the fit measured to the nearest millimeter...

Many ways to skin this cat, but they all involve creating a barrier between the element and the bag while allowing liquid to circulate past the element...

Heat your water to strike temp, turn off the heat, add the bag and stir in the grain. If you milled the grain for BIAB you won't need to add any heat while the bag is in the kettle. Pull the bag out to drain, then turn the heat on again. With grain the is milled fine for BIAB the conversion will be over before you lose enough heat to affect the fermentability of the wort.

False bottom...

Of some sort...

As easy as a cheap steamer basket or colander ... or as fancy as a custom made umpty-ump micron mesh screen with the fit measured to the nearest millimeter...

Many ways to skin this cat, but they all involve creating a barrier between the element and the bag while allowing liquid to circulate past the element...
Take a
Heat your water to strike temp, turn off the heat, add the bag and stir in the grain. If you milled the grain for BIAB you won't need to add any heat while the bag is in the kettle. Pull the bag out to drain, then turn the heat on again. With grain the is milled fine for BIAB the conversion will be over before you lose enough heat to affect the fermentability of the wort.

I'm actually not so worried about the heat and the bag, I'm more worried about the weight of Grains and bag on the element itself. Because of the keggle shape, the element sits really high. I need 4.5 gallons of liquid just to clear the element.

The bag and grain will most likely form itself around the element and not put any weight on the element at all.

sort of like pouring sand in the vessel that surrounds the element rather then sitting on it....

A well fitted bag conforms to the space available and doesn’t sit on the element imo.

Back