Dusting the cobwebs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kabert7

Reaction score
I have been on a 12 year hiatus from brewing and just made a batch last weekend. I would appreciate some feedback and tips.

I made a German type ale with 6 lbs. DME, steeped a combo of crystal, carmel, and roasted barley. I used an oz. of Hallertau for bittering.

By the end of the one hour boil, I was down to 4.5 gallons of wort. I added a little over half a gallon of water at the end. My OG was 1.064. The wort had nice, clean bitterness. More so than I thought for just an ounce.

Is there any advantage to racking into a carboy vs. leaving it in the pale? If so, how long before racking?

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom.

I typically leave my brews in the fermenting bucket for a minimum of 7 days before racking to my carboy for secondary. After that it really depends on the level of activity taking place; if there are still signs of vigorous fermentation or my hydrometer reading is still high, I'll leave it longer.

Once it's in the carboy I usually leave it at least 14 days before bottling. Again, every brew is different, some will need more time in secondary than others. For example, higher gravity brews will need more aging before bottling than a session beer.

I'm glad I asked; I would have racked it too soon.

I just read a posting regarding full boils and O2. I just did a full boil and had no apparatus for aeration. I just poured the cooled wort into the bucket aggressively and it created about an inch of froth. It was my first full boil so I hope I don't starve the yeast of O2.

From what I've been learning from this site, racking it is to keep off-flavors from the trub and to help clarify the beer. Most people here suggest the 1 2 3 rule... 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary 3 week bottles.

kabert7 said:
I'm glad I asked; I would have racked it too soon.

I just read a posting regarding full boils and O2. I just did a full boil and had no apparatus for aeration. I just poured the cooled wort into the bucket aggressively and it created about an inch of froth. It was my first full boil so I hope I don't starve the yeast of O2.

If you don't have any way of pumping oxygen, then a good shake is your best option. Before getting an oxygen tank, I'd shake the carboy pretty aggressively for about 2-3 minutes

Kabert, you're like me, but about a month later -- I took a 14 year hiatus myself and just got back into brewing about a month ago -- you'll quickly remember what a great hobby this is! Good luck w/batch #1 -- recipe's not far from the one I did, but I was 100% extract. Got the bug and already bought all the kegging stuff, built kegerator, etc.-- be careful of GAS!

It must be contagious. I too got back into brewing a couple of months ago after a 12-year hiatus. Maybe it's mid-life crisis. It's definitely cheaper than a sports car.:mug:

mountainrev said:
It must be contagious. I too got back into brewing a couple of months ago after a 12-year hiatus. Maybe it's mid-life crisis. It's definitely cheaper than a sports car.:mug:

That's a riot -- maybe we're the "hiatus guys"...
I bet there's more, going to start a thread.

Remember that the 1 week - 2 week thing is a guidline. I always let my brews ferment for at least 10 days even if there is no airlock activity. If I move it to a secondary container then it is only for 7- 10 days depending on my schedule.

mountainrev said:

Count me in as another rekindled brewer. I brewed in college (age 23), and just started brewing again last fall (age 36). Of course, now, as an adult, I have more $$$ to devote to the hobby, and more patience, and time, so my beers are markedly improved.

What amazes me most is the increase in variety of ingredients (especially yeasts) from when I started in the early 90s. :mug:

butler1850 said:
Count me in as another rekindled brewer. I brewed in college (age 23), and just started brewing again last fall (age 36). Of course, now, as an adult, I have more $$$ to devote to the hobby, and more patience, and time, so my beers are markedly improved.

What amazes me most is the increase in variety of ingredients (especially yeasts) from when I started in the early 90s. :mug:

I pay much more attention to detail now and do a lot more reading. This forum has been very helpful. Before I just made sure my sanitizing was sound and then threw stuff together. I can see why I had such a variety of off-flavors and unpredictable results.

I've been out of the game for about 10 years also.

We just moved, and I found myself carrying my old carboy to the basement, and wondered why I ever stopped.
Well, I stopped because our apt back then had Hot water heat, and we couldn't adjust it below 75 F.

I found some notes on a few batches from way back, and noticed that my last batch I didn't add any hops! I hadn't used a pre-hopped kit! whoops.

And I second the guy who mentioned the ingredient lists. Not only is my LHBS stocked with more options than I ever saw, there is a lot more activity on the internet for help and discussion.

Anyways, what was the question?

Like most retreads I've been out of the brew mix going on 4 years. I love it now and have found my second calling. I have brewed a Steam beer, a Honey Cherry Wheat beer, and have an American Pale ale in the fermentor. I am working on my kegerator. All in due time, which I've learned that patience is a virtue.

Latest posts

Back