Dunkelwiezen bottled!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirsloop

Reaction score
WOW!! This stuff tastes EXCELLENT right out of the primary!! I pulled the FG on it, tasted, then decided it would be an good idea to siphoned off a full glass to wet my tounge with while bottling :p :mug:

I only primaried it to leave it cloudier as per tradition. The FG was a tad bit high at 1.020 even though the stuff sat in the primary for 2 weeks. Could be the type of extract used I suppose, or lack of secondary. Its a kit from thegrape.net including 4lbs alxeanders wheat LME, and another 3lbs pale muntons DME. I used white labs WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale yeast.... saved some slurry for another batch! This stuff rooooocks!

Time for more oatmeal stout me thinks! :drunk:

Dunkelweizen

3lbs Light Malt Extract
3lbs Wheat Extract
1.75lbs Carafa - Dehusked
2oz Hall Hersbrucker Hops
1oz Tettnang Hops
1 tube White Labs Hefewiezen Yeast - WLP300
3/4 cup Corn Sugar

Procedure
•Place one bag of Carafa in 2 gallons of water and bring to 160°F
•Steep for 20 minutes – stirring regularly and vigorously
•Pull out grain bag – sparge with 170° water - optional
•Bring water to a boil
•Turn off the heat, add malt extract and and return to boil for one hour
•Add Tettnang Hops and 1oz Hall hops at 60 minutes
•Add 1oz Hall Hops at 10 minutes

sirsloop said:
I only primaried it to leave it cloudier as per tradition. The FG was a tad bit high at 1.020 even though the stuff sat in the primary for 2 weeks.

Hmm...you bottled this at 1.020? I'd be very concerned about that.

I havent seen airlock activity in days, no krausen... it looked done. Ive bottled all my stouts in the 1.016 range...

i just brewed a dunkelwiezen this week....well more of a weizenbock. i used some chocolate malt and some amber dme. just out of curiosity, do you think yours would be better or worse off with those ingredients (i am saving my yeast and doing another next week hopefully). just seeing what you think.

Back