dunkelweizen help needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldtagtrip

Reaction score
hi there,

im brewing my first german wheat beer and since fall is on the way i believe a dunkelweizen is a better option than a hefeweizen.
after some research, i came with this recipe and i need some help due to my lack of experience within the style.

wyeast 3068

6 lbs dark wheat (9srm) 52%
3 lbs bohemian pilsner 26%
1 lbs munich 20L (20 srm) 8.7%
1 lbs crystal 80L 8.7%
8 oz caramel wheat malt (46 srm) 4.3%

.5 oz sterling(7.5aa%) 60 min 12 ibu

mash schedule with 2step mash and single decoction.
ferment at 66 and carbonating with 3.5 with regular botles(fingers crossed for the botles not to explode)

srm 15
abv 5.5
ibu 12.

I typically try to keep my base malt and wheat ratio to 50/50 or 60/40. This will help avoid a stuck sparge. So maybe 5lbs pilsner and 4lbs dark wheat. Also, your hefes and dunkels tend to use German noble hops, can't remember if sterling is one of them. The other ingredients and details seem fine to me for a first time brew.

Just looked sterling is not a noble hop. Google German noble hops, read a little and select the one that matches what you're looking for. I like Saaz for wheat beers.

Sterling is a domestic saaz substitute. Its fine here.

I personally dont like any dark crystal in my dunkelweizens. you could add some, but 12% total is likely to taste like pepsi. id keep it to 3% 80L if you insist. Id replace the rest with more munich type malts.

Really its 50-70% wheat. the rest a mix of munich type malts. A little carafa for color adjustment. Since you are using a dark wheat and a very dark 20L munich, adding some pils makes sense like youve done. Personally Id just use all of a 6-8L munich, but it depends on what you have available.

My 2 cents... Drop the crystal 80. Keep the carawheat. Swap the Pilsner for more munich. Add a couple of ounces of the dehusked carafa II for color. Swap the sterling for a lower alpha noble hop or use it if you already have some. Your recipe is good. If you only made 1 change I'd say drop the crystal 80.

My 2 cents... Drop the crystal 80. Keep the carawheat. Swap the Pilsner for more munich. Add a couple of ounces of the dehusked carafa II for color. Swap the sterling for a lower alpha noble hop or use it if you already have some. Your recipe is good. If you only made 1 change I'd say drop the crystal 80.

I concur

Back