Dunkelweizen fermentation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguin69

Reaction score
I brewed a Brewer's Best Dunkelweizen. The OG was 1.053 after two weeks it was down to 1.024 and the temp was 61 F. So I moved it to a warmer place for another week. The temp went up to 64 F and had some bubbles. After that week it was down to 1.020. Directions say OG 1.053 to 1.049 and FG 1.015 to 1.012.

My question is should I leave it longer or is it ready to bottle?

If it was me I'd try to drop at least another 4 points to be near the top end. What yeast was used and is 64F the warmest you have available?

That kit was the first beer I ever brewed. My OG was 1.052 and FG 1.012. You may need to rouse the yeast or move the fermenter to a warmer area.

I can move it to a warmer place. I can do that for another week. Do I need to do anything to get the yeast started again or will the warmer temp do that.

The warmth will help, but it'll slosh around when you move it, and the two together should work fine.

If you look on White Labs webpage, they suggest some occasional agitation to help improve attenuation. Sometimes, I'll give the carboy a quarter turn to help keep the yeast in suspension. With a bigger beer, I'll do it every day. That seems to do the trick.

I would advise against stirring or shaking. Stirring could introduce some bug into the beer, and shaking could introduce oxygen. Some people recommend gently rocking the fermenter. Like I said, I just give it a little twist. When you carry it around, though, it'll agitate more than enough.

Latest posts

Back