Dunkelweiss recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelob

Reaction score
I was looking at recipes and this one sounds so good.But i dont no what a dunkeweiss is? Im still a rookie but i just made a irish stout recipe kit, and it was my favorite brew so far. this sound similar. what are the ferment temps? i can only ferment as low as 60.can i do this? oh its a extract recipe

Dunkelweiss isn't much like a stout. It's not roasty, and gets a lot of flavor from the yeast. Fermenting in the low 60s would lessen the yeast-driven flavors (which isn't nec. bad).

When we look for a new style to brew, we start heading to the local (higher end) liqueur store. We pick up single bottles (that can be reused later) of different types to try at home. When we find one we like, it is off to the LHBS for supplies! We made a Dunkel and we prefer it. Which reminds me, only two sixers left. Time for another Dunkel batch!

A good Dunkelweisse is one of my favorite beer styles. Try the Hacker Pschorr Weisse Dark. It is really good.

A DW is not all that common of a beer. Sometimes it may be hard to find in stores.

AS for fermentation, generally the temp you ferment at will dictate the flavors. So, if you ferment at say 68 you will get more of a bananna flavor (which i like in my DW), if you ferment at 60-62 you should get more pronounced clove flavors.

Don't use anything but the Weiheinstephaner strain of yeast for an authentic bavarian dunkelweisse.

+10 to the Hacker Pschorr. That is such a good beer and is what got me to brew the dunkelweiss myself. Boy am I glad I did. After only 2 weeks in the bottle it is one of my favorites. I can not wait to see how it turns out in another month.

I used the dry yeast for this btw, and it still turned out great.

well let this linky guide you into the wonders of attempting to replicate this fantastic beer.

http://***********/stories/beer-styles/article/indices/11-beer-styles/583-dunkelweizen-and-belgian-tripel-style-calendar

Back