Dunkel Weisse Fermenting Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrew44

Reaction score
I am making a Erdinger Dunkel Weisse Clone to day and due to my setup I have 2 options for fermenting temp.

1. Ferment normally in a closet at about 72-75 degrees
2. In a fridge with no temp controller and the warmest i can get it is about 59 degrees.

Is the 59 degrees too cold, I would prefer to bring out more clove than Banana which is the reason Im thinking of the colder fermentation.

PS. Using the Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan

Thanks for your input

I think you would get a ton of banana if the ambient temp was 72-75. Keep in mind that the fermentation temp can be 5-10 degrees higher than ambient at the peak of fermentation.

59 is out of the recommended temperature range for 3068. However, I have had a lot of luck at 62 degrees, which really minimized the banana and emphasized the clove.

I think your best bet is to start it off at 59, and if necessary you can move it to the closet where it is warmer.

I'm not sure if you've looked into this, but you can put together an STC-1000 temperature controller for your fridge for about $20. Given that temperature control is one fo the best things you can do to improve your beer, I would seriously consider this.

Jamil Z recommends fermenting weizens at 62 to get the best yeast flavors (see his "Harold-is-weizen" recipe in BCS), even though that's outside of the recommended range for WLP300/WY3068. I've done 3-4 hefes and a weizebock at that temperature and have to agree that it comes out delicious. Plenty of banana but pretty well balanced with the clove. This is following a "normal" pitch rate, I know some people like to underpitch their weizens.

So I'd second the above advice. If you can keep the fridge at 59, the beer will probably be just about 62-64 which is perfect. I'd start it off in the fridge and remove it after a week (or when fermentation starts to die down) to make sure it attenuates.

I'll also add that if your "normal" fermentation space is a 75 deg ambient closet, for most styles you'll see a gigantic improvement by fermenting 10+ degrees cooler. I'd make temp control your priority going forward.

BTW - prepare yourself for a strong sulfur smell using 3068 cool. Don't worry about it - it will go away and your beer will taste great!

I have followed Jamil's recommendation for temp in both hefeweizen and dunkelweizen and have had GREAT results. The banana is present, but doesn't drown out the subtle and great flavors from the wheat and other malts. I'd second 62, and, as noted above, you'll probably be spot on putting the fermenter in that 59 degree area.

Also, pitching rate is really important for 300/3068. Jamil recommends a 1.3L starter for a 1.050ish 5-gallon batch. For further reading,

https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/2265-german-hefeweizen-style-profile

59 should be great as an ambient fermentation chamber temp as wheat beer yeasts such as 3068 are quite aggressive and raise the temp several degrees. So, I'd imagine your main fermentation temp will be around 64-65 or so which should be quite good. IMO having used both 3068 and 3638 extensively I would say you shouldn't have to worry about much banana taste from 3068. I know I know... many have gotten banana tastes from 3068 and I have too in my Weizenbock's but more often I've gotten no banana and all clove with a few instances of banana, and I've swung all over the temp range. Being Franziskaner is my favorite beer and has a nice banana taste, while still having some clove, I've made 3638 my preference as it gets me much closer to that taste. If you've drank a lot of Weihenstephan I think you'll agree it's more of a clove based taste and that is where the 3068 strain originates from.

So, in that mid 60's will be a good range to keep more of that clove flavor. Run 3068 warmer like 70+ degrees and that banana taste will start coming out more.

Rev.

Well its in the fermenter and i when with colder temp of the fridge, missed my OG by a bit but it was fairly close so we will see.

I will keep you posted on the results…thanks for all the recommendations!

I also have to throw in for the 62-64 range. I just brewed an ayinger clone, cooled to 68F, pitched after a few hours sitting at 62. Kegging it tomorrow, and the balance between all those hefe flavors is fantastic.

Back