Dumb@ss brew session of the day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Well, for the entertainment of this fine community I offer my latest brew folly!

:D

Okay well, the crux of the biscuit was in the milling. I milled my grain. Drill ran out of juice towards the end so I ended up using the handle to turn.

Then I decided to run it through again. Was not quite happy with the crush.

Drill battery was recharged at this point. Hook it up and started spinnin'...

Donk! There goes the hopper full of grain all over the basement floor!

Forgot to take the manual handle off!!!

My basement floor is NASTY! Never really clean (part of the basement is even dirt) I won't even discuss what kind of nasty **** there is all of the place. Dusty, dirty, all kinds of debris of one sort or another.

But, waste not want not and such. Hey there is a grain shortgage looming. Might as well make the best of it right? :cross:

Well, I picked it up with my hands as carefully as possible trying not to get too much nasty debris. Mashed. Found some screws in there as I sifted. Bits of styrofoam floated to the surface. Wood shavings. Unidentifiable items of dubious appearance...

So things were going so well I decided to push my luck and experiment. I have read others have mashed at night and boiled in the morn'. So that is what I did. I am boiling now as a matter of fact. Just got back from refilling my propane tank 3/4 of the way through the boil. Was not pleased with the boil up to that point. Finally had to admit to myself I was running out of gas.

Well. When I got back with the propane tank there was some stringy slimy film on the surface of the wort. Yum.

Skimmed that off and continued.

I am sure there will be more mishaps to report. Must go add hops.

Hope you have enjoyed this report! :fro:

You are a brave, brave individual, with passion for your barley. Let it never be said that you feared ANY beer. :)

cheezydemon said:
Call it the Basement floor Ale.

I have heard of floor kilned malt, but floor milled? Er, spilled?

I am almost certain there are mold spore galore down there... But hey, I am boiling it right?

:drunk:

chriso said:
You are a brave, brave individual, with passion for your barley. Let it never be said that you feared ANY beer. :)

Translation: DUMB@SS!!

I have often thought Trappist monks would find my basement quite suitable to brewing from what I have read.

Very dirty and LOTS of spiders.

Beautiful. Can't wait to hear how it turns out, provided it doesn't kill you and you're able to report!

e lo said:
Beautiful. Can't wait to hear how it turns out, provided it doesn't kill you and you're able to report!

Yeah, make sure you post right before you try it. If you don't post again within a day, we'll send your family our condolences.

Can't let my wife hear about this - she'll know how to get me to sweep the basement floor!

Thanks. That's real swell of you folks.

Well, I hit my gravity. It is sitting in the snowbank as I type. Another fine mess, yeah. Well, I don't have a way to hook up my chiller at the moment. So, make do.

I usually taste the hydro sample, so if you don't hear anymore from me... It did not even make it into the fermenter!

Got a nice big pitch of yeast from the IPA a racked to keg last night. My first time repitching yeast. Might as well make this as interesting as possible!

gkeusch said:
Can't let my wife hear about this - she'll know how to get me to sweep the basement floor!

You might want to clean up all that spilled grain - mice are inside for the season. I found a bag of old grain that it looks like they chewed into, gotta buy some better containers.

Oh, and +1 on the no beer swaps with KoG!

the_bird said:
You might want to clean up all that spilled grain - mice are inside for the season. I found a bag of old grain that it looks like they chewed into, gotta buy some better containers.

Oh, and +1 on the no beer swaps with KoG!

Yeah I vaccumed it right away. I know they are in there. I have one of those sonic repellers in the brew room. There are mouse turds around anyway. I also forgot to close the lid on my grain storage bucket. They chewed into a bag of crystal. :mad:

Could have been worse.

Okay. Still kickin' here. Sample tasted pretty darn good actually.

Not hallucinating or anything yet. :fro:

Snowbank chilling is a terrible approach! It is taking way too long! Gotta get that utility sink finished!

On a happy note I just tapped my mild and it is wicked tasty. Flavorful, smooth and creamy!

Ah sweet beer solace.

the snow bank insulates the kettle. you're almost better just leaving out and let the wind blow on it. or if you can fit it in a rubbermaid container with some water in it, you'll get a better heat transfer.

uglygoat said:
the snow bank insulates the kettle. you're almost better just leaving out and let the wind blow on it. or if you can fit it in a rubbermaid container with some water in it, you'll get a better heat transfer.

IMPORTANT put concrete blocks or bricks in the bottom of the Rubbermaid before you put your kettle in!! - Otherwise, time to buy a new Rubbermaid!

Finally in the fermenter! Once I moved the pot to a different location it chilled quicker. All the snow had melted under it. Once there was snow underneath again it cooled off quicker.

I still don't recommend it.

Oh, and I am still alive obviously...

Right? :D

Yea, I tried the snow bank technique once. Not very effective.
I need to figure out how to keep my hose clear for my brew days this winter. My basement is finished so I can't drag it inside when not in use. The freezing weather may add some complications to my brew day even if the cooling happens faster.
Craig

TexLaw said:
I gotta tell you - I think it will turn out fine. I love the part about the stuff floating to the surface.
TL
I think you're right. Brewing is kind of a refining process that removes most impurities. Vorlauf and draining the mash filters most large particles from the wort. Boiling vigorously drives off alot of volatiles and sterilizes the wort. The fermenting and careful racking allow any small particles to precipitate and be left behind in the fermenter. Brewing has always been a good way to produce a safe, easy to store beverage, with the decided advantage of inebriation. :drunk:

Craig

Oh, don't get me wrong. I remain optimistic. Otherwise I would not have bothered.

Tell you what. When it is done and if it comes out well (which is probable)...

Then I will tell you folks some of the possible extra ingredients I think may have been added to the mash that I have not discussed yet! :drunk:

...and if anyone wants a bottle then, let me know! :D

CBBaron said:
Yea, I tried the snow bank technique once. Not very effective.
I need to figure out how to keep my hose clear for my brew days this winter. My basement is finished so I can't drag it inside when not in use. The freezing weather may add some complications to my brew day even if the cooling happens faster.
Craig

I was thinking about usining propylene gylcol ( non toxic RV antifreeze ) through my work chiller and then using another wort chiller submersed in ice water and hooking it up to a pump. anyone ever try that?

Then I will tell you folks some of the possible extra ingredients I think may have been added to the mash that I have not discussed yet! :drunk:

...and if anyone wants a bottle then, let me know! :D

mouse turds right.... :mug:

Happy to report she's a bubblin' happily. Has been since a couple hours after pitching. Guess my first expereince repitching was a good one.

All in all a good brew day(s) despite the doh! factors.

:D

uglygoat said:
mouse turds right.... :mug:

Oh I am sure. Most commercial beers you drink most likely have some of that in them.

No, much more interesting things than that.

kETdMBx.jpg

:mug:

Back