dumb question: syphoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gator

Reaction score
can someone explain fairly precisely exactly how to do this?

first batch, don't wanna ruin but i can't figure out how to get the brew from the primary to the secondary. have the equipment, just wanna make sure i do it right.

can't remember but pretty sure the stuff came from morebeer if that helps.

thanks, gator

Try an AutoSiphon. It's very easy and sanitary. Put your primary up on the counter, your secondary vessel on the floor, insert hose into seconday and push other end on to the autosiphon. Give it a couple pumps to prime the hose and you are good to go.

Sanitize everything first though.

i wish i had a auto-siphon ... if you don't have one fill the hose with bottled water and attach to racking cane, holding it in a U shape so it doesn't transfer into the beer, or spill out , lower the other end and it starts ... discard the first cup or so if you want.

I soak my hose in a large pot of Star San solution. When I submerge the hose I feed it in the pot inch by inch to assure that the hose is completely full.

After the racking cane has been sanitized, I attach it to the sanitized hose.

then:

*grab the open end of the hose with my right hand, closing it off with my thumb

*holding the racking can in my left hand, I extend/uncoil the hose upward

* place the end of the racking can in a pitcher/ bucket sitting on the floor

*put the open end of the hose back in the pot and release my thumb, starting the siphon

* after the flow is working I re-close the open end of the hose with my thumb

*stick the racking cane into the fermenter, the open end of the hose into the pitcher/bucket on the floor, then release my thumb to start the flow

*once the beer is flowing put the open end of the hose into the bottling bucket, keg or whatever

It is easier to do this than it was to type the description. Once you practice a couple times it a couple times you'll get the hang of it.

EDIT: auto-siphons are over rated

Install a spigot in your primary before your next batch and you won't need to go through the trouble of siphoning. For this batch just fill your hose with sterile water or sanitizing solution, clamp or pinch the hose somewhere in the middle, put one end in the primary and the other in your secondary set at a lower level. Release the clamp and you should be good to go.

Tom

welp, got it done......after a battle.

don't know why i had so much trouble. everything was sanitized but who knows.

brewed and IPA, OG was 1.70 and FG was 1.12.

tasting a bit, really bitter, due to the fact that alot of trub got syphoned in. may take a while for it to further clear and mellow....................hell, i don't know

gator

I'm sure it is fine. The reason you are using a secondary is to clear your beer so don't worry about sucking up a little trub, it will all fall to the bottom soon.

Yeah, you'll be fine. I did the fill the tube up trick and bought one of those snot removers for babies that work as well; forget it....auto-siphon is the way to go.

If you do get an auto-siphon, disassemble it after use and store it unassembled. And take extra care to clean and sanitize it properly. It seems a number of folks have infection problems due to improper auto-siphon care/cleaning/sanitizing.

TBH, I bought one because so many here raved about it...I actually bought two (the smaller and larger sizes). Now I'm back to the ole SS racking cane because imo, once you consider all the necessary cleaning/assembly/cleaning/disassembly/etc. of the auto-siphon as well as it's breakability, the SS racking cane is actually easier to use (until you let the siphon lift above the beer level when you're only 2/3 through the transfer ;)). I just try to make damn sure I don't let the tip of the cane rise above the beer level.

Latest posts

Back