dumb question/gap setting/feeler gauge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufessor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok...... this is probably a dumb question. I got a feeler gauge when I ordered my MM2. Which one of these numbers do you use in figuring the gap? The top # or the bottom #?

If it is the top #, this is the biggest gap on the tool. Just pair them together to get bigger gaps?

This is the gap I have been using....... I can't imagine making it tighter than this without getting stuck sparge, etc.

feeler.jpg

The top number is fractions of an inch, the bottom one dito with millimeters. I still have the angled ones that we used to have to use when setting the valve lash on solid lifters. I put two of them together when I need to get a gap not listed on just one of them. done it for years. I like .039" on my Barley Crusher mill.

Agree --- top is inches bottom is millimeters.... put two together. I use the exact same device to gap my corona mill to .032 inches I use the .022 and the .010 or sometimes I use the .024 and the .008 or ... well you get the grist of it

Sweet..... that is kind of what I was thinking, but always sort of had a question in the back of my mind when I heard people talk about ".045" or ".036" etc..... thanks for confirming for me.

Spark plugs too! We always used a dwell meter for our points...

On point, I set my MM2 of .042. Good luck.

Back