Dumb question - Campden Tablets..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kdog22

Reaction score
So this past weekend, I racked my 5 gal batch of cider into my keg on top of poorly crushed campden tablets and potassium sorbate, in order to backsweeten it before I hook it up to CO2.

I'm not sure why but I decided it would be fine to poorly crush the tablets and toss it in the keg. Normally, I would finely crush it all before adding. I figured they would dissolve the rest of the way while in the cider. Now, thinking back on it, i'm concerned that they won't dissolve at all and i'll have floating bits of tablets in my keg to suprise people in the glasses when I serve it. It'll be a least 2 weeks before the carb level gets up to perfect...

My internet research gave me results of people saying, "it'll dissolve eventually". I also see people stating that they have alot of trouble with them dissolving on their own.

Anyone have first hand experience with this particular kind of situation??

thanks,

-Kdog :mug:

I'd think if you DID have any undissolved bits, they'd come up with yeast and other sediment in the first pint or so.

If it's worrying you, put a glass of water in the fridge with a whole tablet in it, and see if it dissolves eventually!

I'd think if you DID have any undissolved bits, they'd come up with yeast and other sediment in the first pint or so.

Very good point. Didn't think about that!

If it's worrying you, put a glass of water in the fridge with a whole tablet in it, and see if it dissolves eventually!

Excellent idea! I'm probably worrying too much about it. But I might do this just out of curiosity. Thanks!

Back