Dumb question about sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
Can I CIP sanitize a month or so out from using my unitank and still be good to go on brew day, or is that pushing the limits of needing to re-sanitize?

Can I CIP sanitize a month or so out from using my unitank and still be good to go on brew day, or is that pushing the limits of needing to re-sanitize?

I don't know what you mean by CIP, but sanitizing isn't sterilizing, and a month is a long time. I think you already know the answer.

If the system is dry and then sealed, I think it could still be sanitary for a long while. It sounds reckless though, so I think responders will recommend against it. Also, I think any missed moisture would eventually have something bloom in it, so it would probably just be easier to spray it down when you are ready to put wort in it.

I don't know what you mean by CIP, but sanitizing isn't sterilizing, and a month is a long time. I think you already know the answer.

Like day-trippr said ... clean in place.

Didnt think I'd need to explain the entire process just to prove I knew the difference in cleaning vs sanitizing. Assume for the sake of argument that I do.

After cleaning and rinsing, I plan to pump this stuff ... designed for sanitizing through CIP.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/star-saniclean.html
Assuming I seal everything up, can I leave it there for extended periods and be good to go on brew day.

Like day-trippr said ... clean in place.

Didnt think I'd need to explain the entire process just to prove I knew the difference in cleaning vs sanitizing. Assume for the sake of argument that I do.

After cleaning and rinsing, I plan to pump this stuff ... designed for sanitizing through CIP.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/star-saniclean.html
Assuming I seal everything up, can I leave it there for extended periods and be good to go on brew day.

Sanitize it before brewing.

He knows that ('sanitize before brewing'); but how far before, that's his question.

Sadly, there seem to be no chemists/biochemists/microbiologists on this forum. They probably have their own invitation only place on the web, where they occasionally share a quote from this forum and laugh heartily...

My guess (but I'm not a microbiologist...) is that if you store your sanitized vessel where you tune up your off-road two-strokes, you're probably safe; but if it's where you bake your multi-grain bread, then maybe not.

Last edited:
Sadly, there seem to be no chemists/biochemists/microbiologists on this forum...
I think there are, but what Richards those guys are...

I think he's onto a great question here. In theory, cleaning, sanitizing, then storing a vessel for a month shouldn't be a big thing. Something sanitized without further contact with contaminants should stay sanitized. I think the whole 'day of use' is when/if it's open air and subject to airborne nasties. That said, wouldn't you be trapping airborne nasties in the vessels during the month-long storage? Is it even enough to worry about? Wouldn't the residual sanitizer take care of it?

Some one needs to do a three-part experiment. 'Day of' clean, sanitized a month ago, and just rinsed with water on day of.

...1-2-3, not it.

After you sanitize, you would likely be drying the unit. At that point who knows what could get there. If you seal it without drying the trace amounts of sanitizer could gather some mold. It’s rare, but it can happen. I CIP and use Saniclean as well but day of I use Starsan and re-sanitize.

The acronym you're looking for is SIP (sanitize/sterilize in place). You could get away with it if you used peracetic at a concentration high enough to actually sterilize every surface and you could seal the tank with positive pressure (peracetic is compatible with CO2 so no problem there) and keep it sealed until brew day. Another alternative would be high-pressure steam but that would be too dangerous for a home environment. Anything else and the longer you wait and the higher the risk becomes but as with anything involving microbiology there is no clear answer as you're only dealing with probabilities.

Fill it up with Star San solution and seal it up. Then on brew day, transfer the Star San solution to your sanitizing bucket for general use. Would be OK for a month, I've done it with kegs with no issues.

I agree with this. If the vessel stays full of sanitizer until just before use, it should be fine. If you sanitize and then drain the sanitizer, and leave it empty for a month there is an opportunity for bacterial or wild yeast growth after it dries, since sanitizer does not sterilize.

"Sanitize" is what Starsan does. And the literature says it does so only when wet, not dry.

"Sterilize" is to remove all microbial life. Anything not removed can reproduce over time.

The math is fairly simple there.

How much residual microbial life, reproducing for how long, is enough to contaminate your beer is a very large question fraught with multivariate insinuations.

I sanitize when I clean a keg.
I sanitize right before I use a keg.

I also use coasters, even on lawn furniture, for what it's worth.

Sanitizing that far ahead of time may or may not work out, depending on a lot of factors - luck being one of them. It's not a bad practice to make sure things are as clean as possible, and even sanitary.
If |I was doing that, I'd still want to take a peek a day or 2 ahead of brew day to make sure things still look good, giving time to clean / sanitize again if needed before getting into the brewday - you don't want to open it up to transfer and see funky stuff in there, needing a panicked cleaning while wort is waiting to go in.

I "clean" everything after use, before I put it away. I leave things torn apart - i.e. O-rings, fittings, etc. after cleaning. Then on brew day I am sanitizing with iodine or Star San or both just before use while I am boiling or otherwise sitting around. Everything gets hit, assembled with nitrile gloves on, then hit again right before use. By everything I mean everything that used after mash and boil. The mash tun and boil kettle just need to be "clean" as the heat of boiling will kill anything present.

True sterilization ahead of time would require pre-packaging in specialized containers, running through a sterilization process (i.e. heat, ethylene oxide gas), and then not touching or opening until the moment of use. No one's going there for beer purposes.

There was a blog on a pro-brewery site a few months ago about this exact topic. The fermentor had been sanitized but the brew had been postponed for 36 hours so the OP was asking if the vessel needed to be sanitized again. Overwhelming response was yes, why risk having a batch of contaminated wort?

Latest posts

Back