Dumb kegging newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sysera

Reaction score
In a goofy situation.

I have a dual c02 regulator, a freezer, a temp controller, etc.

Today, I got my first keg and co2 tank, replaced the seals, sanitized it, etc. I also picked up 5' of 3/16" tubing.

I originally purchased a Northern Brewer pre-made picnic faucet, with disconnect, etc. Now I'm realizing, I probably want to use 5' of 3/16" tubing with the picnic faucet. I ordered a new 1/4" barb and a worm clamp to move the picnic faucet head and gas disconnect from the 1' length of tubing to the 5' of 3/16" tubing I picked up....

But now I'm waiting for my order to be shipped, etc. (I added a Cream Ale kit to the order to, of course.)

Is it a bad idea to force carb my current batch of beer now while I wait, with nothing hooked up to the liquid out? If I try to hook up the liquid disconnect after the fact, am I going to cover myself in Pale Ale?

Cheers!

I did that same thing a few times when i wanted to carb beer and had no open faucets. As mentioned above, purge before serving it. If there is too much carbonation, just purge it a few times over the next few days until the desired carb level is reached.

You could just purge it before you hookup the liquid side.

And purging the keg won't cause any weird issues?

I assume you mean, turn the gas off, purge the keg until the hissing stops, relatively, and then hook up the liquid disconnect and then turn the co2 back on?

Thanks!

To add, I'm going to carb at about 13 PSI and 40F. I'm aiming for ~2.5 volumes, so I'm thinking with 5' of 3/16" tubing, I'll be able to serve at roughly 13PSI as well.

And purging the keg won't cause any weird issues?

I assume you mean, turn the gas off, purge the keg until the hissing stops, relatively, and then hook up the liquid disconnect and then turn the co2 back on?

Thanks!

nope, just purge and hookup.. or like stated above if you don't hit your carb level correctly you can even get rid of overcarb that way. So yea just disconnect or turn off and pull the release until it stops hissing out.

nope, just purge and hookup.. or like stated above if you don't hit your carb level correctly you can even get rid of overcarb that way. So yea just disconnect or turn off and pull the release until it stops hissing out.

Very cool. Thanks for that. I was hoping I wasn't going to have to wait a damn week to start carbing up this beer! ;)

There is no problem hooking up the ball lock connectors even when the keg is under pressure. IMHO there is no reason to even purge the pressure before connecting.

The only thing that can really make a mess is if a poppet valve sticks when you disconnect a line.

Right now I have the keg about 1/3 full of Starsan solution and I'm trying to check for leaks and learning how to work it a bit.

I first set the regulator for 10psi, with the gas outs and the tank turned off, and kept an eye on it for a little while to see if maintained the 10psi within the regulator, feeling for leaks/extra cold spots, etc. Seems ok.

Now I've applied 10psi to the keg itself and turned the tank off, and making sure the tank and regulator holds around 10psi for a bit.

Trying to cover all the bases before I unleash this batch of APA into the keg! :)

Back