Dual fruit mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrett312

Reaction score
Brewmasters, how well does mixing two fruits into one mead.

is it possible to do a strawberry/kiwi mix or something like this. i can't find any references on the internet of someone attempting such a thing.

I'm thinking you would have to add double the fruit in your mast. 1lb of strawberry, and 1 lb of kiwi, and not splitting it if you were only adding 1 lb.

any experiences with such a thing.

Yes. It can work. How much of each depends on the intensity of each fruit. Give the combo you want and I can give a ballpark. Since fruit depends on source, you may have to adjust at the end.

i'm not dead set on the combinations yet, i have 1 4L clover honey and 1 4L orange blossom.

fruits i have in mind are, stawberry and mango, thinking a dual flavor in the clover and a single in the orange blossom, kiwi, i know i have to be careful not to over power the base flavor though. i did plan on leaving the clover as a nothing special, tasted the must and i'm not to fond of it.

If these go well, i plan on experimenting a lot more, i just need more of the basics, and i'm scared to mess up my first attempts due to the time investment.

You absolutely can mix fruits. I typically target 1.5 to 2 pounds per gallon and leave them in no longer than 14 days for a light to mild fruit flavor. Depends upon the fruit profile you want but I like the honey to come through a bit as well.

I prefer to add fruit to secondary and do 5 gallon batches.
- Cranberry / Orange worked well together. (3# Cranberry 5# Oranges)
- Strawberry / Raspberry / Blackberry / Tart Cherry / Blueberry - I have mixed and matched pretty much any combination (If 2 Pounds each then Tart Cherries about a pound)
- Strawberry / Rhubarb - OK Rhubarb isn't a fruit but it turned out GREAT! (6# Strawberries and 3# Rhubarb)
- Pink Grapefruit / Pear - 4# Grapefruit / 6# Pear - Pear is pretty neutral and really didn't bring much to the party but the Grapefruit came through and was better than i expected.

I would think Strawberry Kiwi would work well together and or any other interesting combinations. The key is getting the balance or amount of each right as some fruits will over power others.

Of course you can mix fruits! Rambutan, Lychees and golden raisins are a dynamite combination. It will at the very least add complexity which in my opinion is a requirement for any alcoholic beverage to keep me drinking it. A great example for me is Cider. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve enjoyed a Cider immensely when I start drinking a glass yet by the end I’m bored as hell because every sip tastes the same because there was nothing else to it other than apples.

The pros make a base mead, then make add fruit or fruit flavors. Then if you want strawberry/kiwi, you would perform some blending trials to try to reach the flavor profile you want. Throwing the kiwis and strawberries in together may or may not work out, because fermented flavors are much different than non fermented fruit flavors.

One popular combo I've heard of in B. Nektar's Zombie Killer is Apples and Cherries. Another combo that seems great is blackberries and Raspberries. Strawberries and Blueberries. It's hard to go wrong really. One I want to try is peaches and raspberries.

- Strawberry / Rhubarb - OK Rhubarb isn't a fruit but it turned out GREAT! (6# Strawberries and 3# Rhubarb)
- Pink Grapefruit / Pear - 4# Grapefruit / 6# Pear - Pear is pretty neutral and really didn't bring much to the party but the Grapefruit came through and was better than i expected.

I just tasted a friends rhubarb mead this past week. It was fantastic!

I've never thought of using grapefruit. I love grapefruit. Great, now I have to start another batch 😀

Latest posts

Back