Dual air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verotik

Reaction score
Im on my 3rd brew and i have bad habit of not topping off enough water to compensate for hydrometer testing. On this batch i made sure to add a little extra water. It is a wheat from AHB and it is fermenting like crazy, and as of a few minutes ago, the krausen was up in the neck of the carboy. I have the rubber carboy cap and have the airlock installed in that. I've read about airlocks clogging up, and i dont want that to happen while im at work tomorrow, so i installed another airlock in the second bung as a failsafe. Bad idea or ingenius?

Probably not going to hurt anything, and may give you a better chance... But your best bet is definitely to ditch the airlock and hook up a blowoff tube. Guaranteed not to fail.

Really, if the krausen and blowoff is big enough to clog up one airlock, it's not a far cry from clogging up two...

rig up an airlock blowoff tube...take your bottling wand hose or other suitable one, put a small slit in it...Heat it for a few minutes in hot water to soften, then do this.

Airlockbo2.jpg

Ailockbo1.jpg

One thing that I do to all my airlocks is saw or break off the little criss/cross of plastic on the bottom of them.

then you'll be fine.

Krausen got into the airlock a little but subsided. Still bubbling away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back