Drying Long Hoses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POAS

Reaction score
How do you dry a 12' or longer hose? It is the beer line for my keggerator. I cleaned it and sanitized it and will not be hooked to the kegerator for a few weeks and would like to make sure that it is dry. How does one do that?

Take the hose midway (about 6 feet) go outside and swing/whip it around your head. Repeat with the other end. Then try to hang it over something at the midpoint so both ends go down.

For my brewing hoses, which are five to ten feet long, I hang them over my deck railing by the middle overnight (or even a few days if I forget about them).

I don't see why you couldn't do the same with the beer line? Or just coil up in a bucket of starsan and store them that way.

I use party taps in my keeser because I haven't gotten around to building anything more permanent yet. When I take a line off a blown keg, I clean it and fill it with Starsan (made with distilled water), thread on a disconnect, close the tap and hang it up. When ready to use, I drain, run a couple ounces of Starsan through it and hook it up.

I hang mine on the doorknob. You could blow some CO2 through it before you hang it, this will help get any excess water out

I don't have one, but I've heard some folks on here have good results blowing them out with an air compressor.

I just blow star san through it in the keg then flip the keg upside down and let co2 blow out the star san and dry the lines

I've had keg lines get moldy when filled with StarSan for several weeks.
Now I blow out as much liquid as possible after cleaning and store them in the refrigerator.

I would leave starsan in it instead of trying to dry it.

This gets my vote.

I've had keg lines get moldy when filled with StarSan for several weeks.
Now I blow out as much liquid as possible after cleaning and store them in the refrigerator.

Maybe I stand corrected. Just a few weeks though? That sounds odd!

After cleaning with PBW and rinsing thoroughly I give the line a final flush with distilled water to avoid leaving spots (mineral deposits) when it dries, then hang it up by the middle with both ends hanging down. I also do the distilled water flush on my autosiphon, racking canes, wine thief, and any other parts I can't reach inside to dry. It doesn't take much distilled water and it leaves these tools spotless.

i use idophor and then hang them up on my brewrig to dry (i have screws on the back that holds them all in place.. that's for my brewing silicone.. for the much longer ones from my kegerator i hang them from the ceiling in my basement

If you hang the hose (and if you take it outside and whirl it around, like I do with the shorter hoses), do you remove the connections at the ends? I think that that is part of the problem - with the quick connect for the keg, since it is sealed, it doesn't allow the water/air to flow out very well. I would hate to have to remove the connections and replace them. Sounds like an opportunity for leaks. I like the idea of leaving it wet with sanitizing solution in the refrigerator.

If you hang the hose (and if you take it outside and whirl it around, like I do with the shorter hoses), do you remove the connections at the ends? I think that that is part of the problem - with the quick connect for the keg, since it is sealed, it doesn't allow the water/air to flow out very well. I would hate to have to remove the connections and replace them. Sounds like an opportunity for leaks. I like the idea of leaving it wet with sanitizing solution in the refrigerator.

Early on, I replaced any barb QD fittings with threaded fittings so I could take them off. You can always disassemble the QD.

I don't take off the connections (camlocks) on my silicone hoses (all pre-boil). For the beer lines in my keezer, I remove the QD (I have QD's with threads mating to FFL to barb adapters) and unscrew the lever part of the picnic tap to clean and dry. I also disassemble the QD for a thorough cleaning. Not sure exactly what I'll do when I move up to Perlicks.

Did you use distilled water to make the Starsan?
I do, and have not had the same problem?

I always mix StarSan with distilled water.
It's possible that I screwed up that day, but as i remember those hoses were filled with diluted StarSan/distilled water for 6-8 weeks and had something growing in there when I went to use them.

Back