drying hopping my first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VirginiaDrew

Reaction score
I am brewing my first batch of beer ever. Well i have brewed other alcohol before, but lets not get into that. I am using a True Brew Double IPA kit, and it tells me to dry hop in the fermenter. I am worried about dry hopping. First doesn't that allow oxygen into the fermenter, second couldn't the hops containment it. Also do i put the pellets in a bag or just dump them in. Is it okay if i do not dry hop, will it still come out pretty hoppy from the large amounts of aromatic and bittering hops I put in. Could I just put them in during the boil? Thanks and all input is appreciated. I have looked through and searched posts, most concern dry hopping in a keg and are for more advance user.

Also is this a terrible idea for a first brew?

there is absolutely no risk of contamination from fresh hops. you can either dump them straight in or put them in a sanitized bag. the bag is easier to clean up and siphon away from when your done. don't sweat the dry hops just follow the instructions.

word of advice. wait till after CO2 productions slows to almost nothing.

If you like that style then it is a perfect first brew. It shouldn't allow any oxygen into the wort because there is already a blanket of CO2 covering it. Hops really aren't able to contaminate anything because bacteria can't live on them so no worries there. I personally just dump my pellets in but some people put them in bags, it's more a personal preference than anything. If you don't dry hop you're going to lose out on a lot of the hop aroma which is one of the most important things in an IPA. If you boil them you are going to get more hop flavor out of them than if you dry hop and also some extra IBU's depending on when you put them in. Just follow the recipe, you will make great beer.

I am brewing my first batch of beer ever. Well i have brewed other alcohol before, but lets not get into that. I am using a True Brew Double IPA kit, and it tells me to dry hop in the fermenter. I am worried about dry hopping. First doesn't that allow oxygen into the fermenter, second couldn't the hops containment it. Also do i put the pellets in a bag or just dump them in. Is it okay if i do not dry hop, will it still come out pretty hoppy from the large amounts of aromatic and bittering hops I put in. Could I just put them in during the boil? Thanks and all input is appreciated. I have looked through and searched posts, most concern dry hopping in a keg and are for more advance user.

Also is this a terrible idea for a first brew?
step 1: relax
step 2: dont worry
step 3: have a home brew
step 4: ???????
step 5: PROFIT! :mug:

Just do it.

Don't worry about letting oxygen into the fermenter. For starters, there will be a layer of CO2 sitting on top of the beer, because it is denser than air, which will prevent oxygen exposure on the surface. In order to really get oxygen in there you would need to stir it vigorously or something similar, and even then you aren't likely to notice any off flavors from oxidation.

Hops themselves are natural preservatives and are not going to contaminate your beer. In fact, that is one of the reasons people started adding hops to beer in the first place: to keep it from spoiling.

I usually put hop pellets into a fine-meshed nylon bag because I find it makes my life easier, but it's not necessary by any means. If you are careful when you rack later on, you can leave all the hops on the bottom of the fermenter, since it will tend to settle to the bottom. Sometimes you get some floaters, but again if you are careful about how you rack, it's not a problem.

Well i love hoppy, like Stone Ruination hoppy, so dry hopping it is. Thanks for the incredible quick responses. I guess my job isnt the only boring one. My other question is how do you put the pellets in, do you just open the bucket (that is the first fermenter right, or is it the carboy) then dump the pellets in, or take out the airlock and slip them through that hole.

I guess ill go with a bag, since this is my first time racking. I do plain on practicing before i do it for real.

Step 5: profit LOL! i love that episode.

Well i love hoppy, like Stone Ruination hoppy, so dry hopping it is. Thanks for the incredible quick responses. I guess my job isnt the only boring one. My other question is how do you put the pellets in, do you just open the bucket (that is the first fermenter right, or is it the carboy) then dump the pellets in, or take out the airlock and slip them through that hole.

I just take the whole lid off, dump in the hops, then give the lid a quick spray down with star san solution, let that sit for a minute, and replace it.

The easiest way is to put the hops into a secondary fermenter, then rack the beer on top.

If you are using pellets (whole hops are much better for dry hopping), then put them in a bag of some kind to make your life easier later.

I love IPA's and brew exclusively in buckets. You're fine just tossing the hops (I use hops pellets), but I like using a nylon bag. Makes the racking process easier for me, others may have other opinions. Between the antibacterial properties of the hops and the alcohol in the beer, there should be no contamination worries. The lid of your bucket is only off for as long as it takes to put in the bag. I'd recommend boiling your hops bag to sanitize it prior to adding. I worry more about the sanitation of the bag than anything that could come from the hops. Start by dryhopping for about 7 days. I did that, but found that I like about 10 days better. Depends on your own tastes. Whatever time you use, just count back that many days from your bottling date (provided fermentation is over, or nearly over) and dry hop then. My IPA's have become all that much more enjoyable since I started dry hopping. Be patient and enjoy the eventual fruits (or hops) of your labors. :mug:

Also, don't worry about oxygen at all! Oxygen is good for the beer during primary and secondary fermentation. Yeast needs oxygen for it's metabolic processes. The time to avoid oxygen is during bottling/kegging. Even then a small amount of oxygen won't matter because the yeast will use it up to carbonate the beer.

really cause i have been so worried about that, it seems so hard to keep 100% of oxygen out the whole time. Glad to know if some oxygen touches it, it wont spoil the beer. Im definitely dry hoping and definitely excited to brew. Thanks for the help everyone.

Oxygen during primary/secondary is GOOD for the beer. More oxygen will help you get a more complete fermentation. That's why you can buy aeration kits to aerate before you put it into the primary.

Deviousalex,

Oxygen prior to fermentation is good. It is used by the yeast during their reproductive phase. Once fermentation starts, introducing much oxygen is bad because it can lead to off flavors. You do not want oxygen in your secondary. Many of us do not even secondary at all, but prefer longer primary due to a higher risk of contamination or oxidation. This needs to be clear to the OP so he doesn't start trying to oxygenate his beer whenever possible. Once it starts fermenting, do not aerate.

Virginiadrew,

One of the great things about brewing is that, unless you screw up royally, you'll make beer. It may not be the best ever, but every batch can be used to hone and improve your skills. You might even have some happy accidents, where you create something better than expected. Pay attention to sanitation, quality ingredients, and good fermentation temperatures. Use a basic recipe, but then you'll learn to tweak it to your tastes. I tend to change recipes a little each time I brew them. So far, I've liked most of my beers, but some I've liked more than others.

Remember, do not add oxygen after fermentation has begun! :mug:

Okay cool, what is a OP? and on my first brew i just want to make beer.Do you recommend i don't even use a secondary this time. Also would a carboy or bucket be better for use as a primary.

I prefer to use a bucket for primary, because they are easier to move and easier to clean. I typically use a plastic carboy for secondary when I do one.

I don't think it's necessary at all to secondary an IPA.

what is a OP?...Do you recommend i don't even use a secondary this time. Also would a carboy or bucket be better for use as a primary.

OP means 'Original Poster' (In this case, you). I wouldn't worry about a secondary. In breweries, they call them 'bright tanks' and they're used to clarify the beer. IPA's, because of all the hops, rarely achieve the clarity of something like a lager, for instance. Clarity doesn't really affect the taste, but is more about aesthetics. Since I don't secondary, I can't really give a strong opinion about carboy vs. bucket for that. Plastic has some oxygen permeability, so most don't use plastic for secondary. Most use either a glass carboy or a Better Bottle. Secondaries are also used for long bulk-conditioning. IPA's are meant to be consumed when they're young, as the many of the hops characteristics fade over time. I usually primary my IPA's for 3-4 weeks, then bottle. I let them carb and condition in the bottles for 3 or 4 more weeks, then start drinking them.

okay it is in a carboy and the magic is happening right now. My idea is to leave it in there ten days or so, toss the hop bag in the last two days or so. Then transfer them to a bottle bucket add sugar and bottle. Then wait a week or two to drink. My question is that a good idea. And how do you get oxygen contamination when you rack it. I'm going to siphon it but still the bucket is full of air, should i fill the bucket with CO2 or what. same with the bottles.

Let primary finish before adding the dry hop or the CO2 pressure may blow off some of your hop aroma. Use your hydrometer to check if fermentation is complete.

Theny dry hop for 7-10 days and then rack to bottling bucket.

When syphoning allow the beer to gentlely flow to the bottom of your bottling bucket, don't let it fall and splash or it may cause some oxygenation.

to get the beer out of the primary to get a reading in my hydrometer, can i just take the cap off and use a sanitized siphon. or what do i do. Thanks for the help

Back