Dryhopping in a Carbed keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjjohnson

Reaction score
Ok, I will try to make this easy. I brewed a Scotch Ale, 5 gal. It has been aging for a week now. My AC went out in my house and I was out for the weekend, so when I got home I put it in the frig. The primary had sucked some blow off water into it from the blow off jug. I am guessing about 1/2 a cup to 1 cup of sanititzed water. So, I just kegged it, took a taste after it cooled down in the keg. It has kindda a tang taste to it. It smells good, but it has a off tasts to it, I think its cause of the water. I dont know if age will help this beer, but I wanted to know if I can dryhop it with some liberty or hallertau. Just to help with the off tast? Maybe some maltodextrin? The keg is some what carbed now. So if I release the pressure and drop in the hops in a mesh bag, then hook it up and turn on the gas and let it set for a week or two. what do you think? I know i cant decribe the off taste. But I need this beer for a party coming up. Any help will help!!!!! Thank you! :rockin:

is this beer only 1 week old? I read your post to be you kegged 1 week after brewing. If so, let it sit for another month before trying it again. Then consider dry hopping it.

It fermented for a week, sat in the primary for 2 weeks. I was going to age it for a week (or so) in the keg. This friday it will be in the keg for a week.

Done it before with no problem. Open that puppy up and drop the bag in. Make sure to tie some floss to it or something to pull it out with. You don't want to be fishing it out with a racking cane like I have before.

Let it age for a couple more weeks in the keg, then taste it. It's probably still young for a scottish ale. That's been my experience at least.
-Ben

If the beer is carbonated, will dropping the hops in cause it to "foam like crazy"? Just asking the question. I thought I read about something like this happening.

I've actually done this as well. It didn't foam like crazy, but the mesh bag floated without me tying it off to anything. I chalked it up to enough CO2 precipitating on the hops that they wouldn't sink, but there was no bubbling over or anything crazy like that.

Back