Dryhop Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zorzs

Reaction score
Hi, there. Just brewed nice pilsner (Bitburger Pilsner clone). Now it hits 1010 FG, tastes quite clear and good. Im thinking about some nice interesting dryhop for it, otherwice its just another fine lager. After some suggestions I have tested various hops on comercial pilsners (just added some pellets in french press, then added beer - columbus, nelson sauvin, hallertau blanc, chinook, simcoe) but none of them seemed quite impressive. Pilsner is brewed with perle and tettnang. I have heard that some citrusy hops could be the way to go, so citra? Amarillo? What you guys say? What is your experience? I know that pilsner is not supposed to be dryhoped, but I want just push the limits.

Pilsner can be dry-hopped but I would go subtle. I would not want my excellent brewing and lagering overwhelmed by some powerful hop. My first choice would be Czech Saaz but out of the ones you listed I would go Amarillo, .5 oz for 5 gallons.

I just did one with mandarina and it was really weird with citrus marmalade flavor.

Lagers are great because they're clean. I'll save the good for IPA

I have read that in New Zealand is popular to dryhop pilsners and Nelson Sauvin is the most popular in dryhop. But after my tests with some pellets with nelson in french press Im still thinking.. I have 160L fermenter, it gaves me around 5+ kegs, so I think I will go for dryhoping in keg with nelson, amarillo and simcoe in each keg. Couple of kegs I will leave for pure pilsner.

Motueka... it’s sort of like Saaz but grown in New Zealand. It was originally called Saaz B. It’s lime character is awesome in pils and it retains some noble like character. I’ve done an all Motueka Mexican lager that turned out awesome. Saaz D is Riwaka but that’s impossible to get.

Personally, I have never had much luck dry hopping pilsners. Just sort of comes off grassy and vegetal when I have tried. That said, I agree with Snowtiger on keeping it subtle. Maybe a bit more Tetnang, I have never really liked Saaz in a dry hop. Maybe a small amount of citra or amarillo..... like 1/2 ounce to an ounce. Cascade maybe? And, since you are dealing with several kegs, I agree with trying a couple different versions/amounts and definitely leaving some as just a clean pilsner.

I have read that in New Zealand is popular to dryhop pilsners and Nelson Sauvin is the most popular in dryhop. But after my tests with some pellets with nelson in french press Im still thinking.. I have 160L fermenter, it gaves me around 5+ kegs, so I think I will go for dryhoping in keg with nelson, amarillo and simcoe in each keg. Couple of kegs I will leave for pure pilsner.
Let us know how they turned out!

Back