Dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boothbrew

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm newer to homebrewing, so sorry if I ask stupid questions...

Currently, I am making an American Cream Ale. This time, I used the dry yeast instead of the WYeast. After about three days, it appears that it stopped fermenting because the airlock wasn't bubbling anymore. Typically, when I use the WYeast, my batches ferment for a little less than a week. I have another batch, American Wheat, that I started at the same time, and that batch is still fermenting. With the American Wheat, I used the WYeast.

My question is, it seems like the American Cream Ale stopped fermenting too early. Is this batch going to be lower in alcohol content? Is the dry yeast less likely to take? Why did the American Cream Ale ferment for such a short period of time compared to all my other batches?

Thanks for your help,

BoothBrew

dry yeast has WAY more yeast cells in it than a smack pack (assuming you aren't making starters).

airlock activity is a crude way to gauge fermentation. ALWAYS go off your hydrometer readings to determine when its 'done'.

Dry yeast will ferment quicker, and leaves a drier finish from what Ive noticed. Not necessarily more or less alcohol, but sometimes the quicker fermentation will result in higher temps, which can cause off flavors.

There are many reasons why your ferment has appeared to complete. You need to remember that yeast like any living organism has a metabolism and prefered living conditions, in addition to this different yeasts behave differently. Therefore comparing different types and strains of yeast can be a difficult task to quantify. Most importantly check your temp is not too high (or low) but I am guessing it is, if anything a little on the high side, contributing to the fast ferment. Most importantly Don't Panic. There truly is no better friend to a new brewer than the trusty hydrometer. Remeber : you need to identical readings over two days.

Back